Occasional Contributor

Taxco Mexican Silver Jewelry

BRING IT BACK, PLEASE

Honored Contributor

Re: Taxco Mexican Silver Jewelry

At one time there was a shop in Old Town Albuquerque that sold nothing but Taxco silver.  Boy, I dropped some money there. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There was a time when I planned around silver shows, some were weekly.

That is long gone.  From the financials it looks like they are sort of over jewelry 🥲

Respected Contributor

A long time ago I actually visited Taxco, Mexico, a little colonial town full of jewelry shops and silver mines high in the mountains halfway between Mexico City and Acapulco.  It was a very popular tourist stop.

Unfortunately the Mexican state of Guerrero has become much more dangerous due to drugs and crime.

I know some of the U.S. airports used to feature Taxco silver stores.  Not only did they have jewelry, but beautiful silver statues as well.  The craftsmanship was superb.

The Mexican silver was always the best priced in my opinion!  But now I am a gold girl, so I just shop silver for my nieces.

Valued Contributor

@born2runqt  Fellow Taxco jewelry lover here.I have the older pieces from the 30s-50s as well as newer selections.Do you do ebay? There are Taxco shops there. You can also check Novica. They have tons of artisan crafted Mexcan jewelry.You can also try TJMaxx stores and their website.I see some items from Mexico listed there as well as in their store. Selections are limited but prices are good. 

I hope you can find what you are looking forWoman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

There is a designer called Dominique dinouart sells silver from taxco. She used to be on shopnbc

Honored Contributor

We were going to go to Gallup here soon, but, called it off when somebody told me that was a bad place to go right now what with all the stories in the news.

I'm just sticking with HSN/Chanco Canyon and American West.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I miss it too, so much. I love everything about Taxco silver - the weight, boldness, oxidation, finishing, designs, all of it. I'm lucky to have some dynamite pieces from many years ago when it was readily available at reasonable prices.

Dominique Dinouart was on QVC too for some years. I didn't know she was on shophq. I liked some of her designs a lot, and her shows with Rick were very entertaining.

check eBay if you want to be tempted now! There's probably a ton on there.

Valued Contributor

Dominique Dinouart went to what has been so many names, not sure what it is now, Shop HQ?  Anyhow, aren't they about to die as a shopping channel?  She needs to return to QVC - QVC please court her!

Esteemed Contributor

I have a large Taxco braclet I've had since the 70's. I wonder if it's worth anything. I never wear it.