Respected Contributor

Re: TOO MUCH RELIGIOUS JEWELRY

@Shanus wrote:

I've been seeing a trend of many crosses, message (Christian) bracelets, necklaces, etc. across the board in most lines of jewelry at the Q. While Jewish people ARE a minority, it'd be nice to offer an alternative  (star of David, Chai)....especially when the religious item is a special offer or TSV. I notice even Or Paz from Israel has caved into the cross styles...very disappointing. Christmas in July & 24 or 48 hour Christmas line ups of shows leave out other religions who do not celebrate that holiday. Please be inclusive.

Israel is the Holy Land to Christians as well as Jews - in fact Christian tourists far outnumber Jewish tourists to Israel every year.  so of course Israeli artisans are aware and sell to that market, so don't see why Or Paz wouldn't represent that.  i speak as someone who comes from mixed religious traditions (Christian and Jewish).   when Kathy Levine was at the Q, there was actually a greater presence of Jewish items -  but i believe she said they didn't sell all that well as many Jews buy from their synagogue gift shops.  i know where to go for strictly Jewish items, especially in this day and age and understand the ways of the mass marketplace for retailers.

Valued Contributor

I couldnt agree with you more  We just eliminate our Jewish friends  Last year i was watching valerie when a caller said just this and I really thought she would work on bringing in many pieces but so far  nothing  Im not jewish but I always have a monora and we do the lighting so my children can share the holiday with our friends   I have a childrens book beside it we read to understand the holiday  We share christmas with our friends and the kids love it   We have families such as sandra that are both  im gald we can bring this up again thanks to you  and lets keep doing it until something is done   Valerie should be our first goal  

Valued Contributor

Im a christian but respect the jewish faith so much because the man I love  more than life was a Jew    I have signs that say my father is a Jewish carpenter  

Respected Contributor

Try Evine.com. The North competitor. You will find an array  of Jewish symbolic jewelry, from high end gold and diamonds to very affordable silver lines, including real Israeli line Passage to Israel.

Q follows supply and demand rule.

Trusted Contributor

I havent seen Muslim religious symbols for sale at the QVC either. There are millions of Muslims in the USA. It didnt bother me alot though as when I was in the market for such I preferred to buy my pieces from and support those who represented the Muslim Faith in earnest....not from mass marketers whose sales tactics may not enhance (even insult) those who they represent.. I did find a very few nice scarves long enough that I made into hijabs from here.  There are many faiths in the world and in USA and many not represented at all here. My Sister was a Buddist. We both never preferred to buy our personal faith symbols from Home Shopping Channels. Just gave us a certain creep factor and we had to know our source more importantly. We also thought that mass commerce should not be aimed at religion as many peoples are ultimately always left out.

Respected Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

I havent seen Muslim religious symbols for sale at the QVC either. There are millions of Muslims in the USA. It didnt bother me alot though as when I was in the market for such I preferred to buy my pieces from and support those who represented the Muslim Faith in earnest....not from mass marketers whose sales tactics may not enhance (even insult) those who they represent.. I did find a very few nice scarves long enough that I made into hijabs from here.  There are many faiths in the world and in USA and many not represented at all here. My Sister was a Buddist. We both never preferred to buy our personal faith symbols from Home Shopping Channels. Just gave us a certain creep factor and we had to know our source more importantly. We also thought that mass commerce should not be aimed at religion as many peoples are ultimately always left out.

ITA , you should stay away from mass marketers and their sales tactics, they might even mishandle your items in the insulting way.

Honored Contributor

I believe 2% of the population in the US is jewish and 80% is christian.  Qvc is a business so those numbers speak for themselves.  

Honored Contributor

QVC is "too much religious" for me, period. From the presentations to the host blogs, I'm often turned off by all the mentions of Christianity and God. I'm a Christian and it's too much for me. It doesn't feel inclusive here.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you choose to live in a predominately Christian country...... what would one expect?  If I were to move to China, Israel, Japan, etc. .....I would think there would be more of the predominant religion's jewely there than others.   

The attitudes of some people here on this subject are so very evident and I think many of us know that it goes deeper than just the selling of jewelry whether it's admitted to or not. 

If you dislike it so much....why do you watch it?  I wouldn't watch a whole show of Buddha jewelry and many others..... but I won't begrudge those who do or those who promote it and/or sell it or tell what it means to them. 

Respected Contributor

I am not a Christian, I am Jewish, but it never offends me that a lot of jewelry or decor pieces are Chistianity related. 

I never feel that complex of minority, never have a sense of entitlement, always know how to find stuff  that concerns my religion . I like Christmas, holiday decorations ,love the music( written mostly by Jewish composers). I also enjoy Halloween .

So I do not care how many crosses Q sells, if people buy them , great! 

As long as our Judeo-Christian values remain  solid I am happy.