Valued Contributor

Surprise on Return of jewelry

When I got my refund last week, I was checking and found that about $6.00 was not returned in taxes.  QVC kept part of the taxes on the easy pay.  This was an item Ipurchased Nov. 3rd.  I was told that in Massachusetts, after 90 days, you don't get your taxes back on a return.  I missed it by 3 days because it is the date the return is processed, even tho I had it in the mail on time.  I have never heard that and never had it with held before.  I guess when buying in Nov. before Christmas, you need to look at your states tax law and be sure to get it processed before 90 days.  Never knew.Has anyone ever experienced this?  In another state?

Respected Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Surprise on Return of jewelry

I guess the government has already spent your money...burns a whole in their pockets too.

Esteemed Contributor

So in the state of Massachusetts, if you return something past 90 days, you are not entitled to get the sales tax back that you paid, any of it.  If I am reading that link right, that is what it states.

Total rip off in my opinion.  The state is keeping sales tax on something that was returned.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

Thievery.

Respected Contributor

And if you look when it's dated, that's a while ago.  I wonder how many others are aware of it.

Honored Contributor

Makes perfect sense to me.  If a customer fiddles and diddles over whether to return something or not and returns it after or close to the 90 day mark;  the retailer has already paid the applicable sales tax to the state.  They retailer can't get that sales tax money back after all that time and it's unfair to expect the retailer to pay it back out of their own pocket.  The lesson to be learned is if you are going to return an item....return it promptly.  Don't wait and wear 10 times and then return it, which we all know people do with jewelry returns.  90 days is very long time, no one should have a problem with this.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree Somehow when you break it down it all seems fair and just.LOL

Respected Contributor

It's not something I ever thought about before, since I've never returned anything that long after purchase.  But now that I do think about it, I guess it makes sense, since the seller (QVC) has already paid the tax to the state.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

It's not something I ever thought about before, since I've never returned anything that long after purchase.  But now that I do think about it, I guess it makes sense, since the seller (QVC) has already paid the tax to the state.

Well it's not like the retailer is never going to pay sales tax to the state again.  They could just deduct it from what they owe the next time they make a payment.  I am not advocating that shoppers wait so long to return something.  I even agree somewhat with getting a reduced amount back on the item, on returns that took so long to send back. BUT, I do not agree with the state keeping sales tax money on something that was returned.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead