Honored Contributor

Surprise from QVC Ceylon Blue

Well it looks like one in the picture.  Ceylon Blue Sapphire. (Corn Flower Blue)  One caret and 1/2 caret diamonds.  14K white gold.  Diamonds not that great  H color SI  in the $4,000 range.  QVC diamonds are always like that. Precious gems gain in value.  The U.S. has Sapphires (Montana) but nothing like this. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Surprise from QVC Ceylon Blue

[ Edited ]

I have always wanted a Ceylon Blue Sapphire. I have a friend who has a Ceylon Sapphire ring and it is gorgeous. So many sapphires sold today are so dark that they look like black spinel or onyx.

Honored Contributor

@songbird Diamonds have definitely risen in value and I know I could sell my solitaire fairly easily.

I have yet to find someone to buy even the smaller stones in my better rings.  I have not decided to try to sell what I have as pieces of jewelry -  some of them I know would be worth as much for their settings as for their jewelry value — and the settings would sell faster.

PS. Your ring looks beautiful.  

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

I have always wanted a Ceylon Blue Sapphire. I have a friend who has a Ceylon Sapphire ring and it is gorgeous. So many sapphires sold today are so dark that they look like black spinel or onyx.

I have always wanted an orange sapphire.  I am kicking myself for not buying one when I was in Thailand a decade ago.  They were all set in gold and I do not usually wear gold.  I want a bracelet ( so I can see it all day) set in silver. 

Honored Contributor

@Travone Years back, I bought a narrow rose gold band ring at a craft show and I do believe what attracted me most were the 2 orange sapphires in it.  No way are they the size I assume you passed up in Thailand but I still feel happy every time I slip that ring on a finger.  

At the time I really knew so little about jewelry that I didn’t realize how many different sapphire colors exist.

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

I have always wanted an orange sapphire.  I am kicking myself for not buying one when I was in Thailand a decade ago.  They were all set in gold and I do not usually wear gold.  I want a bracelet ( so I can see it all day) set in silver. 

Gem shopping has them.  I have a yellow sapphire.  I love them.  Orange is more rare then the yellow.  But yes, I've seen some gorgeous ones.  They are expensive because of the "war bonnet" (diamonds that surround them) and they are usually set in platinum or yellow or white 18K. Sapphires aren't my birthstone, but they are the only gem I love (Corundum) They're strong, just behind the dimaond in strength and they gain in value.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@50Mickey  The price of a sapphire is only by it's size & color.  Even heated sapphire command big bucks.  It needs to be beautiful.  Sri Lanka is the only place that has that electric blue.  All blue sapphires have to be "medium" color.  It can't be too dark.  There are dark ones out there, but they are cheap.  Kashmir only has the velvet blue color.  If you are tourist in Sri Lanka, you can't purchase a sapphire.  Only citizens of that country are allowed to own them. That's how they feel about Sapphires.  Sapphires are only for export. 90% of the gems I own are Sapphires.  (including ruby, yellow & pink sapphires)  If you hunting for Sapphires, try TVON.  Price wise it's lower then Gem Shopping.  But you get decent color.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@songbird Diamonds have definitely risen in value and I know I could sell my solitaire fairly easily.

I have yet to find someone to buy even the smaller stones in my better rings.  I have not decided to try to sell what I have as pieces of jewelry -  some of them I know would be worth as much for their settings as for their jewelry value — and the settings would sell faster.

PS. Your ring looks beautiful.  

Absolutely.  Sapphires always gain in value.  That's why they are called precious as opposed to the semi precious.  Added to the value are diamonds.  Gem stones by themselves are not as beautiful without diamonds.  You need the contrast of color.  The more diamonds, the color of the gem stone and the precious metal it's in ony enhances the value of the stone.

Esteemed Contributor

The ring is absolutely gorgeous. But for almost $4,500.00, I would think the sapphire itself would be a little larger? 

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

The ring is absolutely gorgeous. But for almost $4,500.00, I would think the sapphire itself would be a little larger? 

QVC jewelry does overprice somewhat (for the quality) but yes, Sapphires like this usually go for $70,000 to $90,000.00.  It stops being jewelry at this point.  It becomes investment since sapphires increase in value.  The color is everything.