Respected Contributor

Re: Sterling silver or white gold

Some styles look better in gold especially if you're buying diamonds.

Honored Contributor

I look at it this way. Most people probably think anything white is silver anyway, so I usually don't bother with the expense of white gold. But I do have one sturdy white gold chain for pendants that will never break on me. And I do have some white gold rings from years ago that I bought for the particular stones in them. Now days I go with silver or gold bought at a deal at auction. For one pair of earrings to wear every day, go with the white gold. Use silicone backs if these are a post style and you won't lose them.

Honored Contributor

I don't own any white gold. I have some yellow gold and some sterling. I keep all my jewelry in an anti tarnish jewelry box, and I have never had to polish anything. I have had some silver pieces now for over 10 years, and they all look just as shiny as when the pieces were new.

Super Contributor

I have both white gold and sterling. I have never had to polish my silver earrings, they have not been high maintenance for me. I think it's more a matter of the color of the metal. Sometimes you might want a deeper color and go for white gold. Or you only like bright white and tend towards sterling. Also consider if your piercing has allergy issues with sterling. If you do then you can only go with gold or stainless.

Trusted Contributor

I think the new sterling silver pieces have plating like rhodium on them and so they don't tarnish like the silver of years ago, I prefer the sterling over the white gold because it is more shiny and not dull. I do have a Lori's jewelry saver but I find I can leave it out for awhile and don't notice it tarnishing. Also the sterling silver allows you to own more pieces of jewelry than white gold does.

Valued Contributor

I agree with depglass, it's hard to tell sterling from white gold. Side by side, yes, there is a difference, but without that reference, not so much. So, for the price, I generally go for silver. I keep it in safekeeper boxes, and if there is a little tarnish, a silver polishing cloth usually takes care of it. I do have a couple of pairs of white gold earrings, but due to the price of metal, if they aren't tiny and dainty, I find that they are a bit thin, and I fear that they won't hold up.

Honored Contributor

I've always been a white metal girl. My wedding rings are white gold. I have more sterling because it was more affordable for me to accumulate throughout the years. I like .925 sterling. The brilliant almost blinding silver QVC offers (ultrafine) does not appeal to me one bit. I have preserve cases that keep my jewelry tarnish free. I sure wish the Q would bring those back. They probably won't because it would be competition for Lori Grenier

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I just recently bought an estate diamond and white gold ring that I love. Most of the time I don't like white gold but this one just sparkles. I wonder if it's rhodium plated? It sure does shine.

I have some nice silver pieces too because they are much more affordable.

-Kalli

Valued Contributor

Since you don't have any white metal jewelry now, do you think you will really wear any if you buy it? If you aren't sure, and it's not a metal you care for, it may not be worth it. Sterling and fine silver might be a better value. Any fine silver, .950 to .999 are more tarnish resistant than sterling. White gold is very pricy and the gold resale value if you don't wear them is fairly low. Perhaps, if you want to try a white metal, you should look for a two-tone pair of earrings you like to try? If you've never owned any, you may find you don't care for the look. Or, you could go for broke and buy platinum. The real stuff, palladium or rhodium derivatives.
Honored Contributor

Well, gold IS gold and silver is, well, silver, but I like them both. I think a few pairs of real gold are a great option to have, but there are a great many nice silver choices. I think it's worth having both.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...