Trusted Contributor

Re: Sterling silver or white gold

I vote for white gold. I have some silver, some of which I bought on a Mexican vacation and it tarnishes like crazy but the designs are lovely. Have to store them in those little anti-tarnish baggies, which often leads me to overlook them when I want a white metal for an outfit. The very few sterling pieces I bought in the US are rhodium plated and don't tarnish much. Those pieces mix nicely with white gold.

In the long run, you'll probably be happier with white gold, but I'm injecting my own preferences here. Whatever you decide to do, wear it with style!

Trusted Contributor

I'm with those who said if you're looking for one good pair of white metal earrings, go with gold. As far as sterling goes, I have a ton of it and agree with another poster who said they love the Ultrafine Silver line here at the Q.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've got both & like both. For most pieces I prefer the look of sterling silver.I keep my silver in a silver safekeeper & it stays looking beautiful.

For an expensive ring I prefer white gold because it is easier to size & repair than sterling. I love my sterling rings, too, but some are too big now & I'm running out of fingers they fit on.

Honored Contributor

For earrings my choice would be White Gold if I was going to wear them frequently because I have a reaction to SS after a while. I own more WG but do have some SS which is not worn often. I always prefer WG over SS.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

Since my skin has a pinkish undertone, I wear ONLY silver metals: sterling, white gold, stainless and platinum. Sterling is the most reflective of all the precious metals and the pricing allows for more imaginative designs.

Choosing between white gold and sterling, I would take sterling 9 times out of 10.

Honored Contributor

I prefer white gold.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Valued Contributor

No preference for me per se.

However, I prefer gold to be tiny, twinkly and delicate and silver to be substantial and vintage looking.

So whatever style fits the outfit is what I wear.

If I could only take one I guess it would be gold but it would have to be really tiny pieces. Having said that, my biggest purchases are in white gold or platinum - wedding ring, Rolex and Cartier love bracelet so maybe I'm kidding myself! No, I think I still prefer the gold but it really does have to be delicate; I really dislike bold gold on me.

Super Contributor

I like a bright white color so I stick with silver.

Valued Contributor

I like and own both. I do agree with willdob3, sterling rings can be difficult to resize, so for more expensive rings, I go with white gold.
Contributor

I prefer white gold but I only have a sterling silver budget.