Honored Contributor

Sterling silver electroform question

Does this finish hold up?  I am looking at a Simon Sebbag bracelet that is textured electroform.  Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Re: Sterling silver electroform question

I've heard that electroform silver (or gold) have problems with the thin layer peeling off. I have actually seen a silver bracelet that was in a jewelry case in TJMAXX that had a spot where the silver had come off. It was not a cheap bracelet so I was quite surprised to see this. Hope this helps in your decision.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@furbabylover    Thanks!  I have not had any experience with this type of finish...I think I will pass on the purchase.

I wonder if all electroplate is the same thickness?

Honored Contributor

@Re: Sterling silver electroform question

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs I have several Simon Sebbag pieces which I purchased when the brand first came to the Q.  It was maybe two or three years ago. 

I have a pair of earrings that I wear a lot and some bangles that I'm wearing right now.  I also purchased a heart necklace and a second pair of earrings.

All of my Sebbag pieces still look like new! Smiley Happy

ETA:  I was lead to believe that this is not a layer over some other metal but silver pieces filled with wax to keep the shape and weight light.

Respected Contributor

Hello @Mom2Dogs You used both of the terms electroplate and electroform. They are not the same thing. 

• Electroplate is where the metal is electrically deposited onto something, becoming part of the finished product, such as silver plating over hematite or base metal or rhodium plating over silver.
  • Electroform is where the metal is electrically deposited onto a model, or mandrel, often made of wax. This is not the last step, as the metal must be drilled and the wax drained away. It is possible to use both processes in a single piece.
Honored Contributor

@banned again    Opps I meant electroform when asking about thickness.  Thanks for pointing it out, I didn't even realize I typed the wrong word.

Honored Contributor

I have several electroform pieces, mostly Or Paz which has offered many.  They are not the same as electroplated.  Electroform is a method of making a large bulky piece without using so much silver as the inside will be hollow.  There will always be a small hole where the wax was drained out.  They are sterling silver so of course they don't peel.  Mine have held up just fine and look like new.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have several pieces by Simon Sebbag and his jewelry is lovely, well made and of exceptional quality.   I agree with Kachina's description of the electroform process.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Electoform and electroplate are often confused. You can have an electroplated electroform piece meaning it's hollow and it's plated with something. Can be made of a myriad of different metals.

Electoplate is just a fancy way of saying it's plated. Most plated jewelry is done electrically. It's when the plating is done multiple times over and over to make it thick enough to be called 'vermeil'. That is an industry standard thickness of 2.5 microns which is thicker than most other kinds of plating. 'Flash' plating is the thinnest and it's usually what you get with a rhodium or a platinum plated piece...very thin layer.