Valued Contributor

Something old turns into something new!

I have been looking for a nice long, solid silver substantial tassel. As I have reported before I had taken Barry Cord frog pendant and attached it to an enhancer. I have now attached it on a etched rolo 3 inch stainless steel chain. The frog bracelet I attached on a 1.5 inch rolo chain. The two frog chains were then attached to a thick ss clasp, which were then put on the flower enhancer. 'Mother and baby frog". With my 30 inch John Hardy necklace from over 10 years old and my Cord's frog cuff bracelet it all quite lovely".

I always keep old jewelry and make something new. Stainless steel chain are best because steel is strong, (unless you get some of that is as thin as some silver jewelry) and you don't have to take it to jeweler to have it solder. Old silver chains are good for anklets and bracelets. Buy some jewelry clasp,and don't throw away that old jewelry. Buy some good quality jewelry tools and change up your jewelry. After I retire that will be my new hobby full time....

Honored Contributor

Re: Something old turns into something new!

LOVE doing this! Some REALLY good ideas here.
Trusted Contributor

Well, Gracie, you are a very creative person! As much as I love jewelry, making or altering it myself is something I probably wouldn't attempt, since I'm a dummie about that sort of thing. I admire those who know how to do something fancy with bits and pieces of findings and such. Keep on truckin'!

Frequent Contributor

Hi Gracie - You and I must be sisters!

I do that all the time. I have remade earrings, necklaces, morphed long necklaces into shorter ones and made a bracelet out of the remaining links, etc. Its all fun and I have recreated some stellar pieces.

Thanks for your post.

Honored Contributor

Gracie, what a great thread. I am always looking to reinvent pieces also but I haven't ventured into doing it myself. Last year I came up with the idea of having a beloved earring - whose mate I had loss a couple years earlier - made into a pendant. I also had a ruby pendant that I never liked because the gold was a wire but it held three rubies. I had the rubies removed from the wire and added to my earring pendant. Now when I wear that pendant I almost always get a compliment or two.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the postive feedback! I love redesigning old jewelry into something new. By far my favorite is my frog tassel. Old earrings can be made into charms and pendants. Don't throw away or sell that old jewelry make it into something new. Whatever you make will be 'one of a kind'.