Respected Contributor

Some jewelry needs to be in gold

I guess I mean gemstone jewelry. 

I decided to get my daughter fire opal stud earrings for a second piercing for her upcoming birthday.  I purchased a pair that looked nice online in silver.  I got them and was disappointed.  I then ordered from somewhere else in yellow gold.  Paid more, but they really look so much better.

There are some things that just don't move me in silver.  Yes, I know it has a lot to do with price, and I get it.  If I buy a ruby, emerald, even citrine, it loses it's "pop" in silver. 

I would not recommend getting fire opal in anything but yellow gold.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Re: Some jewelry needs to be in gold

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 I don't know whether you've seen it or not but the "in" thing now is Ethiopian opal.  It has an entirely different play of color than an Australian opal, and it's not fragile.  It's not water-based so doesn't dry out.  The color tends to be more fiery; it's like looking at colored lights through a jar of jelly.  I'm enthralled with them.  Here is a ring I got from Evine, 

20170626_230445.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

That's a gorgeous ring.  One night I came upon Jewelry Television and the topic was Ethiopian opals.  It was interesting to learn.  I have seen them and they are really stunning.  And different colors to choose from too.  They are mesmerizing in their change of colors.

There's a set of opal and diamond stud earrings on QVC I keep looking at.  Not really stud, oval shaped with diamonds around the opal.  Has a matching ring also.  I don't NEED them, but would love to HAVE them.  Probably will get something in opal eventually.

Love your ring!

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

Would suggest checking with a reputable jeweler for opals. Too often, opals are synthetic! Be very careful when purchasing from JTV. I wouldn't trust them ever. Would be leery of the other channel you mentioned, also. QVC seems to have GIA experts on staff, but not sure if they demand the highest quality in their stones. Again, be very careful. Much easier to buy in person when you are able to look through the microscopes, learn from an expert and compare with other stones on-site . . . or anther reputable jeweler in your area. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady  Of course TV shopping gem experts don't demand the highest quality.  Their customers can't afford the highest quality.  You're suggesting QVC have the equivalent of the crown jewels?  What we get is far from the best. 

The person who is the vendor on Evine is a graduate gemmologist with certification from the Gemmological Institute of America.  It seems at present the only QVC employee with that certification is Nancy Hornbeck.  Evine also has a host with the certification. 

There are plenty of crooks selling in jewelry stores. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I specifically said a "reputable" jeweler. Still stand by my comments. You get what you pay for. I don't waste money on mediocre anything. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003, I so totally agree with you on this. Awhile back I posted the same thing. Usually silver is my metal of choice.  Just the other day, I got a ring in gold color.  I guess it's how it looks "right" to us. 

Trusted Contributor

"I don't know whether you've seen it or not but the "in" thing now is Ethiopian opal.  It has an entirely different play of color than an Australian opal, and it's not fragile.  It's not water-based so doesn't dry out. "  Kachina

Wow!  I didn't know that.  Makes me want to buy some now.  Most of the opal jewelry I have gotten as gifts over the years has cracked, so as much as I loved it, I just decided never to buy it.  This piece of information changes everything.  Thanks, Kachina!!

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003  I know just the earrings you are talking about.  Have been looking at them too.  They're really pretty!  Still not sure if they are for me, though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gem Shopping has mostly Lightning Ridge opals that cost thousands and are set in platinum.  The black opals look great against white, because of there flash.  Other opals look washed out in silver or 14K white gold. 18K yellow/white gold and platinum give a whole new look to them.  Will never be my favorite stone.....