Super Contributor

I've had a bunch of old junk silver jewelry in a drawer for a long time and finally decided to ship it off to USGB last week. I was hoping I'd get $200-$300 for it. When they called to talk to me about my shipment, they started with ... "Well, there was a lot of stuff in the shipment that wasn't sterling" ... so I was ready to be disappointed. Then she told me there was still a good amount of sterling there ... and I just got my check for over $1100. Very happy I finally emptied that drawer.

Trusted Contributor

That's wonderful!  Thanks for the info that they also buy silver.  I've got a bunch I want to sell and you've given me the motivation to round it up and mail it off.

Honored Contributor

WOW!

Good for you! I keep seeing that silver keeps going up in value. You picked a good time to clean out that drawer.

Honored Contributor

@Wahoogaz    That must have been quite a drawer full because you usually get very little for silver.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have sold silver and gold to USGB a few times and was always satisfied with the amount they offered.

Honored Contributor

I participate in local jewelry auctions online.  The one that ended last night had lots of silver coins thrown in.  They went absolutely crazy.  So check Ebay or your local coin dealer before you dump silver coins.  They are worth more than scrap silver.  

Esteemed Contributor

If you sell your gold and silver, do you remove any stones first, do they keep them and pay you for them, or do they return them?  I started getting my jewelry together, but quite a bit has stones.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

If you sell your gold and silver, do you remove any stones first, do they keep them and pay you for them, or do they return them?  I started getting my jewelry together, but quite a bit has stones.

@SXMGirlThey told me to remove any stones I wanted to keep. They said the stones would be taken care of in the melting process ... which means they'll want to melt down the jewelry before they give you a price. That wasn't a problem for me, since it was all junk stuff and I had no desire to get anything back.

Esteemed Contributor

@Wahoogaz  Thanks.  I have never removed stones before, but I will check out videos to see the best and easiest way.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Wahoogaz    That must have been quite a drawer full because you usually get very little for silver.

It was a pretty heavy load. I don't remember what the weight was, but it was enough that they sent me the shipping label for free shipping. I think they always to that for gold and platinum, but not always for silver.

I was definitely surprised by the amount ... like I said, I was hoping I'd get $200-$300.