Honored Contributor

🌞 Solar Watches-- Do You Recommend? 🌞

I'm tired of having to take my watches to the jeweler to replace the batteries. I have several fashion watches, and it can get out of control, lol.

Have any of you had experience with solar watches? l'm considering purchasing a Citizen Eco Drive watch, and l'm wondering if l should. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Re: 🌞 Solar Watches-- Do You Recommend? 🌞

I have two Citizen Eco drives and love them.  I keep them in a windowsill to keep them charged up.

Honored Contributor

I've had two Citizen Echo-drives for years.  I would never buy any other brand.  Love them.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Seiko solar.  It works well.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

I know exactly what you mean!  The battery replacement is why I stopped buying fashion watches.  Too much of a hassle, especially for watches I don't wear all the time.  

I have two really good watches but when I'm going hiking, doing yard work, etc., I don't want to wear them.  I've been thinking about a solar watch too and I've read good reviews about the Citizen watch.  I looked at the Apple Watch, but don't think I want to invest in it as it will probably be outdated in a few years. (Besides, I'm not sure I want all its bells and whistles.)  I'm leaning toward solar and in the meantime just carry my phone to check the time.

Respected Contributor

My husband used to have a automatic watch,  but you have to wear it to keep it going.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch That's what I like about the Eco-drives.  One I wear every day, but the other one sits on my dressing table and I only wear it occasionally.  Still keeping perfect time.  If we didn't change time twice a year, I'd never have to re-set the watches at all.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette  I used to keep them in the safe and actually had to have the power cell replaced in my first Eco drive.  It was expensive.  Now I keep them in a window sill

Honored Contributor

I have a Citizens Eco Drive watch.  It's not one I wear often because it's smaller than I prefer my watches to be now.  I made the mistake of sticking it in my armoire so of course, it stopped running.

I pulled the stem as directed by my jeweler and put it in the window.  It took awhile but it charged back up.  My jeweler told me if it didn't charge up, I may have to have something in it replaced which wasn't cheap.  Now I keep it on my nightstand but I probably should keep it on a windowsill. 

Honored Contributor

I keep mine on the windowsill all the time.

I have a couple very pretty styles, and keep them on the windowsill all the time.

Most of mine have very long straps, which are now much too big for my wrist.