Super Contributor

Re: Sleeping Beauty Turquoise.... Mine's Closed Mine's Closed OMG

That doesn't mean once (if they do) they re-open the mine that there's any decent SB turquoise still there . . the best of it was mined many years ago. Is that all the friend told you OP? Seems to me there'd be a lot more details to tell for someone ""in the loop.""

"In my life, I've loved them all . . " The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Hurry, hurry, buy now. isn't that the message that is going out? I, for one, am not taking the bait.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

That doesn't mean once (if they do) they re-open the mine that there's any decent SB turquoise still there . . the best of it was mined many years ago. Is that all the friend told you OP? Seems to me there'd be a lot more details to tell for someone "in the loop."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All it means is that for right now, from this Mine, Copper is more valuable mined than SBT. And your sly inference that my friend is "in the know" is a cheap shot. I merely have a friend who is in the Industry in Arizona and that's the upshot from her as she used the stones extensively. I can only speculate whether or not the "good stuff" is gone. I personally (watch out now, this is only conjecture...) but I highly doubt it or it wouldn't be worth reopening the mine in a few years, would it? Might as well mine it dry of copper... I just thought it was interesting considering all the hysteria regarding the stone..

I agree with the poster who said, buy it and love it if you love SBT. Buy it for any kind of future investment and I believe it's a mistake.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

If you believe this hyped bs, I have some exquisite, rare ice to sell you Smiley Wink
Super Contributor

On 8/29/2014 Q4u said:

That doesn't mean once (if they do) they re-open the mine that there's any decent SB turquoise still there . . the best of it was mined many years ago. Is that all the friend told you OP? Seems to me there'd be a lot more details to tell for someone "in the loop."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All it means is that for right now, from this Mine, Copper is more valuable mined than SBT. And your sly inference that my friend is "in the know" is a cheap shot. I merely have a friend who is in the Industry in Arizona and that's the upshot from her as she used the stones extensively. I can only speculate whether or not the "good stuff" is gone. I personally (watch out now, this is only conjecture...) but I highly doubt it or it wouldn't be worth reopening the mine in a few years, would it? Might as well mine it dry of copper... I just thought it was interesting considering all the hysteria regarding the stone..

I agree with the poster who said, buy it and love it if you love SBT. Buy it for any kind of future investment and I believe it's a mistake.

I did not mean to make a "cheap shot" whatsoever - I'm just interested in any news on the subject . . honestly! No harm intended, and although I'm sick of hearing "the mine is closed" like everyone else, I also think there are just as many comments from folks who don't really know what's going on with the mine or with the difference between bad, good and fabulous SB. I'm still learning myself, but I also like to know who's teaching me and how reliable the source. And yes, you are conjecturing "hysteria" - which I have none . . I do enjoy the stone, but I buy within my limitations . . I'm not rich (or stupid) enough to buy huge amounts of anything. No one wants to hear an opinion other than . . it's all a bogus hyped up scam. I really hope it isn't, but who really knows.

"In my life, I've loved them all . . " The Beatles
Contributor

It's not just the Q pushing the Sleeping Beauty and the mine is closed. It's all the shopping channels. I don't know and it doesn't influence my buying decisions. I have several pieces of SBT for several years ago. While I have to say it's a beautiful color, it always looks kinda like plastic to me.

I guess I'm in the minority but I like my turquoise with some matrix in it.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I'm sick of hearing about that mine and of SB turquoise! Though they're not alone, the Q has clearly decided this is now the gemstone they'll pile-drive into the ground... First, it was the awful druzy, then it was black spinel and now it's this! It really is such a shame QVC's jewelry focus has become largely a one trick pony.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

This is just an industry-wide ploy to jack up prices by creating scarcity.

Honored Contributor

I prefer turquoise without matrix, but they have over-hyped the SB to the point that I doubt both the worth and the desirability. There has traditionally been Middle Eastern turquoise that is matrix-less that I think has always been considered good/fine quality. Time to look for some of that - but I suspect it's expen$ive.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Regular Contributor

Paul Deasy just mentioned that in his personal opinion it will never reopen in response to the many rumors to the contrary - probably here??? They have only found small low quality pieces from what I've been hearing on all the channels. I think it's good that they tell us - everyone was caught off guard when paraiba tourmaline disappeared so I appreciate the heads up no matter how redundant. And yesterday Carolyn said that the one bucket her friend Mario had left has now been used and he's looking for more so her supply is gone too.