Trusted Contributor

Should this ring be considered defective?

[ Edited ]

I mostly order jewelry from QVC but lately I am tired of returning items that really don't truthfully or fully match the item description. For instance, I recently received an "as is" sterling diamonique simulated tanzanite ring. The online photos of the ring showed deeply saturated purple/blue stones but when I received it, the stones were very, very pale and washed out.  I know "as is" means it may not be in perfect, like new condition. But this is different. Shouldn't the item look like the photo? Does anyone know if this ring would be considered defective and as such, if I returned it, all the shipping charges would be refunded to me? I feel QVC's return policy really could be clearer. I appreciate your thoughts.

Regular Contributor

Re: Would this be ring considered defective?

I’m not an expert but tanzanite is a pale blue stone. It’s not a deep blue purple color. I don’t know if this helps.

Valued Contributor

Re: Should this ring be considered defective?

It doesn't read as defective in your description. Defective to me is- chipped stone,loose mounting,dented metal, etc. You just did n't care for the color of the stones and it didn't appear as pictured. Ask a rep. for help in your return/shipping charges.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@KrissyE.  Cheap, poor quality tanzanite is a pale color.  Good quality, which youll never see on a shopping channel, is deeply saturated with color like a dark amethyst.  The OP received a manufactured stone which tells me the whole batch should have been the same color.  I'd return it with an explanation and hope they'll accept it as defective.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Harvard99-

I would ask for shipping to be credited to you because I think of that as more like false advertising.

They are showing a beautiful saturated color on tv and in photos, it should be that way with the ones they are sending.

They are hoping people will see it order and then keep or return and they get to keep the shipping money they charged you both ways.

I got tired long ago of pale stones shown on tv as "deep" "rich" "saturated" stones, when the ones they send customers are not.

And if it's diamonique simulated, they should have done a better job of simulating all of them, not just the one they show on tv.

I am getting angry for you. But also because this happens so often and it really shouldn't!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

I mostly order jewelry from QVC but lately I am tired of returning items that really don't truthfully or fully match the item description. For instance, I recently received an "as is" sterling diamonique simulated tanzanite ring. The online photos of the ring showed deeply saturated purple/blue stones but when I received it, the stones were very, very pale and washed out.  I know "as is" means it may not be in perfect, like new condition. But this is different. Shouldn't the item look like the photo? Does anyone know if this ring would be considered defective and as such, if I returned it, all the shipping charges would be refunded to me? I feel QVC's return policy really could be clearer. I appreciate your thoughts.

@Harvard99  I understand “as is” items to those returned for whatever reason. Your ring may have been returned because the color was not as shown.

IMO items that are defective should not be shipped out the 1st time, much less a second time after it’s been returned.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@KrissyE.  Cheap, poor quality tanzanite is a pale color.  Good quality, which youll never see on a shopping channel, is deeply saturated with color like a dark amethyst.  The OP received a manufactured stone which tells me the whole batch should have been the same color.  I'd return it with an explanation and hope they'll accept it as defective.

@Kachina624  You know your gemstones...you’re spot on re: color. If the photo shows the ring to have a more saturated color, but hers is not, only hers is defective...not the entire batch.

Honored Contributor

@LUVNLIFE wrote:

It doesn't read as defective in your description. Defective to me is- chipped stone,loose mounting,dented metal, etc. You just did n't care for the color of the stones and it didn't appear as pictured. Ask a rep. for help in your return/shipping charges.

IMO, in jewelry, defective is any item received that’s not the same as the item depicted.

Honored Contributor

I order tons of rings and often am disappointed at the color of tanzanite, apatite, zircon, etc.  The TV especially seems to show them darker.  I don't think this is a defect issue, I just send back what really bothers me and pay the shipping myself.  I really don't care to get into a feud with any of these networks over a judgment issue.  Kudos to those of you who can persevere with these hassles.  I don't need the ulcer. 

Honored Contributor

No it's not defective. You just did not like the color in person vs what you saw on the computer screen.

Everyone knows colors you see on your computer will not be accurate color in person.