Trusted Contributor

ShopHQ shipping $15 but actually cost $3.50 to mail

I'm in the midst of contacting the vendor (who has made items for me) as well as corporate but wanted this to be known:

On an expensive piece of jewelry, the shipping was $15. No issue as I expected it to be shipped UPS, 2 day with insurance like ALL THE OTHER ITEMS FROM THIS VENDOR HAVE SHIPPED IN THE PAST.

Come to find it was sent STANDARD USPS in an envelope and the ACTUAL cost was $3.50. CS claims that this is what the VENDOR requested (as per her emails, it was NOT) and that's just what shipping costs.

Not according to my local USPS who was able to tell me the weight and type of shipping and what ShopHQ actually paid for the shipping....it was NOT $15.

Not sure what will happen in the end but people, this is BS and I'm not accepting it. 

Thanks for letting me vent.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

Re: ShopHQ shipping $15 but actually cost $3.50 to mail

The s/h costs on ShopHQ have stopped me from ordering several items.  And I don't ever remember them offering free shipping.

Trusted Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee I've pointed out ShopHQ's ridiculous shipping in other posts. It's been very high for years. However, they state it's "Shipping & Handling". They can add to the actual shipping costs by saying the handling is the additional cost. It's really nothing new. 

If your purchase did not say it was 2nd day air, or expedited shipping, it would be expected to be standard. Unfortunately, we have to accept this or just not shop with a business that charges S&H. 

Below is a shot of my most recent shopping cart with ShopHQ. It's only a few apparel items. I did not complete the purchase. I'm fully aware this is for standard shipping. Actually, I wouldn't pay it to receive it 2nd air anyway. 

shophq.jpg

Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50 On rare occasions, they will offer free shipping on specific type items (all apparel or all jewelry, etc) with a minimum purchase of around $99. 

Honored Contributor

Usually when Isomers is on the air they offer free shipping with use of their CC on orders of $50 or $75. 

Trusted Contributor

@cjm61  Yelp! That shipping is just...wow. I get it and this is why I rarely order from them. 

In this case, it was an expensive piece of jewelry from a vendor I've ordered from before for many years. ALWAYS paid higher shipping, ALWAYS shipped UPS, 2 day with insurance though it stated nothing other than the cost (I keep my receipts for insurance).

THIS time it was sent USPS, standard 7 days with no insurance and cost ShopHQ $3.50 as per the USPS (who pulled the info up for me).

WTH?!  That's a MAJOR difference from previous shipping of her items and an issue, IMHO.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

"Shipping" is a big profit center for many of these companies.  Don't think for a minute they're charging you what they're actually paying. They pay much less than you and me due to negotiated contracts.

Honored Contributor

I have no idea why the vendor or the selling company changed the mailing procedure but I do know the money they paid the USPS is only a part of what the transaction cost them -  maybe not even the greatest cost!  I am surprised the total was so different from your usual cost; 

I do know that I have never done speed buying from QVC -  I always want to check the final cost as well as the estimated  delivery date before I agree to buy.  I tend to buy the same brands over and over again and I still check for every purchase.  Easier to back out before they have any of my money.  I hope you get an explanation or have a screenshot of a different price!

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

The s/h costs on ShopHQ have stopped me from ordering several items.  And I don't ever remember them offering free shipping.

I ordered an item that was on a coupon sale and it turned out...free shipping.  That was a surprise, but this has only happened to me once.  I wasn't expecting it.  The cust rep told me.  So yes I was happy!

Honored Contributor

The way I see it is if you want something bad enough you'll pay whatever it costs to ship it. Otherwise just don't buy it.