Honored Contributor

Shop HQ 22k gold line

[ Edited ]

ShopHQ has a new 22k gold line.  Called Sohma.  This is from India. In India, when you are invited to any wedding, be it Hindu or Muslim, you bring a gift of gold.  Everyone.  The standard there is the same as in the middle east, 18K (minimum) to 21K or 22K. And in China, it's 24K.  Because everyone must bring gold as a gift, the bride is usually decked out head to toe in gold. The more  extravagant the wedding, the more gold.  This was very pretty.  Price wise it's a bit more expensive then 18K.  Here's ring as an example. 22K is 91% gold

Indian bride wears £400,000 of jewellery on her wedding day | Daily Mail  Online

Respected Contributor

very pretty ring.  reminds me of the hawaiian jewelry that was popular some years ago with the plumeria flower motif.

Honored Contributor

Adore this Sohna ring, but at just under 2K, well, it's that or the house payment. Some absolutely gorgeous pieces.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I have no words...except hideous.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

ShopHQ has a new 22k gold line.  Called Sohma.  This is from India. In India, when you are invited to any wedding, be it Hindu or Muslim, you bring a gift of gold.  Everyone.  The standard there is the same as in the middle east, 18K (minimum) to 21K or 22K. And in China, it's 24K.  Because everyone must bring gold as a gift, the bride is usually decked out head to toe in gold. The more  extravagant the wedding, the more gold.  This was very pretty.  Price wise it's a bit more expensive then 18K.  Here's ring as an example. 22K is 91% gold

Indian bride wears £400,000 of jewellery on her wedding day | Daily Mail  Online

Just curious, do poor people or cheapskates not get invited to weddings? What if they go without a gift of gold? 

Trusted Contributor

@happycat  Here's is what a dear friend of mine told me about that subject (because I asked the same question, lol) many years ago:

Gold it passed down from women to women. So, when a woman marries, she receives gold from her mothers' vault, her MIL to be's personal vault and any other family member will give her gold from their collection. Also, sets (earrings and necklace or earrings and bracelet, or set of of necklaces, etc) are sold at a much reduced priced because it's common and the tradition (can you imagine THAT happening at our jewelry stores in the US). plus, they know they will have a lifetime customer (and her family members) if they offer excellent customer service.

As in everything, the higher your income/status, the more expensive the gift that is expected to be given. And just like in the US, the super wealthy do things differently than those who are super poor. The woman in that picture is of a certain "class" shall we say. As you go down the "ladder" in income/status, what is expected changes as well. You don't shift between the classes in India; not at all she said. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@happycat  Here's is what a dear friend of mine told me about that subject (because I asked the same question, lol) many years ago:

Gold it passed down from women to women. So, when a woman marries, she receives gold from her mothers' vault, her MIL to be's personal vault and any other family member will give her gold from their collection. Also, sets (earrings and necklace or earrings and bracelet, or set of of necklaces, etc) are sold at a much reduced priced because it's common and the tradition (can you imagine THAT happening at our jewelry stores in the US). plus, they know they will have a lifetime customer (and her family members) if they offer excellent customer service.

As in everything, the higher your income/status, the more expensive the gift that is expected to be given. And just like in the US, the super wealthy do things differently than those who are super poor. The woman in that picture is of a certain "class" shall we say. As you go down the "ladder" in income/status, what is expected changes as well. You don't shift between the classes in India; not at all she said. 

Thank you for that explanation, @FiddleDeeDee. I find that all very interesting. 

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Oh dear.  How much is that ensemble?

Honored Contributor

When I was on campus, we had several Indian student workers.  One of them got engaged after he graduated and he sent us a invitation to the wedding.  

I know about the gold because he showed us a picture of his sister who got married.  They are from a wealthy family, so the ceremony was elaborate.  Each guest brought a long gits of gold.  The bride would get practical presents too (as showers are in the U.S.) but at the ceremony itself, it would be gold. Men too.