Honored Contributor

Other than your wedding set, do you have any jewelry pieces that are sentimental to you? Do you wear them, or do they just stay in your jewelry box? 

My most sentimental pieces would be the brooches passed down to me from my mother, and the gold chain & cross pendant given to me by my parents and aunt when I was in high school. 

For a long time the gold chain and cross pendant was the only necklace I owned and wore. I probably wore that every day for 20 years before I started buying other necklaces. I still wear it just not every day. 

Neither of my sisters wanted mom’s brooches, and I didn’t want them thrown away, so I took them. I wear them once in awhile on the lapel of a blazer or on a winter coat. I put one on my crocheted summer handbag this year. 

Honored Contributor

Graduated high school in 1980 and got the ring the year before.  Still have it and wear off and on.  I also have my Mom's Mother's Day ring with her three children's birthstones.  I was in grade school when we gave it to her.  It is too big for me to wear and I would never change the size of it.  Love to look at it often and I have the photo that was taken of all four of us when we gave it to her that morning.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

One item would be my father's white gold, blue star sapphire ring, with diamond accents. I remember him wearing it. He passed 50 years ago. I wear it all the time because it's my way of keeping him with me. The second is a yellow gold cross with 15 diamonds belonging to my grandmother that I wear everyday. Again, it's my way of keeping her with me.

Honored Contributor

My wedding ring is a thin gold band that was my Mom's. It is 72 years old. I also have an initial ring she had in high school. I have a few of my Grandmother's cameo brooches. Probably some more things but I haven't looked in the jewelry cabinet in quite awhile.

Respected Contributor

After our second and last child was born, my DH bought me a mother's ring with my children's birthstones - diamond and opal.  Like my wedding rings, I wear it all the time.  I never take it off except to clean it.

Esteemed Contributor

@wilma wrote:

Other than your wedding set, do you have any jewelry pieces that are sentimental to you? Do you wear them, or do they just stay in your jewelry box? 

My most sentimental pieces would be the brooches passed down to me from my mother, and the gold chain & cross pendant given to me by my parents and aunt when I was in high school. 

For a long time the gold chain and cross pendant was the only necklace I owned and wore. I probably wore that every day for 20 years before I started buying other necklaces. I still wear it just not every day. 

Neither of my sisters wanted mom’s brooches, and I didn’t want them thrown away, so I took them. I wear them once in awhile on the lapel of a blazer or on a winter coat. I put one on my crocheted summer handbag this year. 

i put my mother's brooches on a couch pillow...love being able to see them....

Respected Contributor

@wilma Like you Wilma, i have a 18K gold medal and chain from Italy given to me by my mother.  Her best friend, Louisa (my namesake) purchased it when she was in forence Italy.  The chain and medal feature the Virgin Mary and I have worn it for over 50 years.  It has been checked and refurbished from time to time by my jeweler, but it looks the same as when my mother gave it to me.  This is a representation of my medal from the painting by the 17th/18th century master Florentine painter Dolci.  The medal called the Virgin of the Finger (much more romantic when said in Italian) as you can see her finger peeking out from her robe.  I love it.

Carlo Dolci (After) - "Madonna of the finger"

10K 14K 18k Yellow Gold Madonna Virgin Mary 8mm Size 3D Design image 0

Esteemed Contributor

Two rings from early in my marriage are favorites.  Everything else has been mostly passed on.  No idea what is going to happen for birthdays once the stash is depleted.

Respected Contributor

Re: Sentimental pieces

[ Edited ]

I too wear my sweet Mom and Daddy's rings as a way of keeping them close.

Also, I had a couple of Moms silver spoons made into beautiful bracelets for DD and GD's. ❤️

Honored Contributor

I am a jewelry lover and collector.   I do have several pieces handed down from my mom and my nana and I don't wear them because I fear losing them.  I have a gold locket and a some large brooches set in silver and various gemstones from my nana,  All well over 100 years old.  I would have to have a jeweler  inspect and repair and clean before I could safely wear them.  I do wear the double strand of Akoya pearls that my dad gave to my mom when they were engaged.  I treasure those beyond anything else because she loved them so much and wore them to all dress up occasions.  I also occasionally, during the holiday season, wear her "Christmas jewelry" as she called it.  I think she bought them from HSN way back. Perhaps QVC.    It's button earrings, a pendant and cocktail style ring.  Tiny seed pearls with emeralds interspersed among the pearls.  Very antique-ish.  She never were all the pieces together.  Two pieces at a time was her rule. And she only wore those pieces Thanksgiving throug the end of January.   That set is in all of the Christmas pictures of her for the past 30 years of her life. Shortly before she passed away, my aunt gave me her diamond heart pendant.   She took it off her neck and told me to wear it and remember her.  That's also something I never wear because I am afraid of losing it, even though I replaced the chain.  I have that fear.  And then there is my orignal wedding set.  I have upgraded over the years but I will never part with it.  I wear it once a year, on my anniversary.