Contributor

Selling scrap gold or silver jewelry online

Does anyone know of a reputable place or places where I can mail in my scrap sterling silver and solid gold jewelry items for cash?  Years ago I did this from a source that QVC recommended, but that info is long gone now.  Thanks for any ideas people might have where I can do this and not get ripped off.

Valued Contributor

Re: Selling scrap gold or silver jewelry online

I am reluctant to mail in any jewelry pieces and looked for local places advertised - I would avoid actual jewelry stores because they underpay - 

Sterling silver jewelry does not bring in much money because its gram value is still low, and, certainly compared to gold, will yield fewer dollars.

But if you have items you no longer wear, some money is better than none - 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had some good pieces I had to sale to one of those buyers of gold. My mom sold her jewelry to a jewelry store, and made more money than I did. Lesson learned. Check jewelry stores first.

Respected Contributor

You can't beat US Gold Buyers - best price I have found. You won't get much for silver anywhere.

Esteemed Contributor

Sunday rate shows $1562 per gram for gold (that's up $11)...and silver around $8 - $12

(Silver is always 'squat')

Gold has been climbing past couple of months - slides down a couple of bucks = then up double triple that.

Look for coin dealers in your area - sometimes they aren't allowed to splash gold signs all over their store.  Now a good time to sell gold but depends on what you have.  Coins are preferred by dealers.   Jewelry = more work and harder to sell - lots of melt downs.

Respected Contributor

usgoldbuyers dot com

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

You can't beat US Gold Buyers - best price I have found. You won't get much for silver anywhere.

@froggy , Will they pay with a paper check ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@QVCkitty1 

I'm almost positive they will.

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@froggy wrote:

@QVCkitty1 

I'm almost positive they will.

@froggy  Thank you. !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@fthunt that $1562 rate you quoted is not per gram--it's per ounce (and it's fluctuating wildly).

The current rate, per gram, for 14kt gold, is $29.19.

What worries you masters you.