Valued Contributor

Is it worth selling jewelry on Ebay or other sites? Between the cost of shipping, fees for Ebay or paypal do you really get what you feel is worth it?  I have alot of big gold pieces and Judith Ripka I just do not wear anymore and looking to sell.  Do you feel just selling at a jeweler is better? Thanks

Honored Contributor

I sold some of my pieces to a local jeweler and made over $3,000.

Besides all of the ebay fees, most ebay buyers are looking for something for virtually 'nothing', IMO

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Joizz11 wrote:

Is it worth selling jewelry on Ebay or other sites? Between the cost of shipping, fees for Ebay or paypal do you really get what you feel is worth it?  I have alot of big gold pieces and Judith Ripka I just do not wear anymore and looking to sell.  Do you feel just selling at a jeweler is better? Thanks

Unless you live in a very rural area, I would try local first, either a jeweler or higher end consignment shop.

Valued Contributor

Re: Selling Jewelry

[ Edited ]

Thank you. Yes I completely agree they want things for barely nothing now. Did you sell your jewelry and get per gram weight?

Honored Contributor

@Joizz11 wrote:

Thank you. Yes I completely agree they want things for barely nothing now. Did you sell your jewelry and get per gram weight?

@Joizz11

Yes, I was paid per gram and many of my pieces had rubies, emeralds and diamonds and he measured those, checked the quality and paid me for the stones in addition to the gram weight of the gold.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got gram weight for mine and some much more.   The fees were the killer. People paid their own shipping.  I made $10,000 and fees from ebay and paypal took two thousand.  Many things I sold in lots or sets.   5 pieces of diamonique 14k for instance, set it low and let the market dictate the price.   Everything did well.  I had multiple people ask if I would sell items outright before the auctions ended.  I was selling heavy 14k and 18k pieces.

Honored Contributor

Certain designers can be hot temporarily, but most die out eventually.  Check your designer pieces on Ebay in completed sales, not asking prices.  Buy a gram scale and get familiar with scrap prices. 

Contributor

You should definitely try local first. Its so hard to find a good buyer in ebay when it comes to selling jewelries. Ebay buyers tend to buy cheaper products.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you are selling QVC Ripka pieces, eBay or FaceBook is probably the best bet.  Unless it is 14K, no jeweler would consider it fine jewelry.  There are JR collectors looking for her older pieces.  There are FB forums where posters sell their items.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

With regard to selling 14 karat locally, I found my local goldsmith offered the best price per gram because he was actually going to melt the piece down and use the gold for a new creation.  Offering me a good deal was still cheaper than him buying a slab of 14 karat gold at current gold prices.  My local jewelry store guy was either going to sell it as an estate piece or send it to a larger gold buying business so for him to make money he had to offer less I guess.

i made decent money selling 14 k pieces on the bay several years ago. But now, the bay has a policy of favoring the buyer over the seller and buyers know this. Some use it to be sneaky. For instance, I sold 14 k earrings bought from Q. They were clearly marked 14 k and I'm sure they were legit. When the buyer received them she told me she had them tested and they were only 10 k and therefore she demanded I reimburse her $10.  I didn't want to damage my perfect feedback score so I did what she asked. Grrrrr

I also sold a small 14k bracelet around the same time. That buyer sent me an angry email because there was a small imperfection that I honestly had never noticed. It was in the tiny adjoining loop to the lobster claw clasp, not in the actual bracelet section. My goldsmith could've quickly put a tiny dot of gold to seal that connecting loop and would have done that free of charge had I seen it before I sold it.  Anyway, I paid the return shipping and insurance and therefore lost money on that deal. Haven't sold again on the bay but I do buy there still.

sorry this got long!