Respected Contributor

Re: Selling Gol

[ Edited ]

I would take it someplace where you will be able to watch them weigh the gold. I would also take the gold to at least 2 different places, if possible.

Respected Contributor

Re: Selling Gold

[ Edited ]

We used a coin shop that buys gold and silver. They sorted the items by 10K, 14K, sterling silver while we watched. Then they weighed each group, recorded the total, and gave us our grand total while we watched. The current price for gold and silver was displayed on a digital sign.  Everything seemed really straightforward and an easy transaction.

I didn't want you to overlook this category of precious metal buyer. In fact we sold our collection of silver coins to them a few years later.

Esteemed Contributor

@FLgardener  The "slightly yellow" kept the price down. Color is very important (of the four "C's") in selecting a diamond. You still (probably) sold it at a handsome profit.                    

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I sold a lot of gold a few months ago and I was both surprised and pleased with how much money I got for pieces I no longer wear.  I sold mine at a locally owned reputable jewelry store that I have shopped at.  Good luck!  

Honored Contributor

You should hold onto it...think of it as a savings account.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife 

I understand what you are saying and, normally, I might feel the same way.

However, it's not all that much and....I am financially secure and then some.  So, I'd rather get the money and help a few of the local rescues with things they need for their foster programs and "kitten season."

I'm thankful I don't "need" the money....and the jewelry holds no sentimental value to me.  Not a jewelry girl at all!

Esteemed Contributor

I am keeping what little gold I have left.  I did a big purge about 10 years ago when selling became hot.  I know if I still had the pieces I sold then, I would get more today, if I sold.

I have family to leave what I have to, but that doesn't mean that I will do that.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

have a bunch of silver platters and plates of all sizes and some smaller silver pieces like coffee creamers and ashtrays. some of them are very old as in  ca.1900.    is there an antique market for these?     i guess i watch too much "Roadshow", i haven't polished this stuff and it's pretty grimy. i do have a scale i use to weigh my gold.

Honored Contributor

I found a coin shop here in town that pays better than US Gold or any other retailer, online or B&M. It might be worth checking around to see what places pay per pennyweight.

Respected Contributor

Hands down, you will get the best price from US Gold Buyers. Many on this forum will recommend them.