Contributor

Saw my Q jewelry for 1st time in 9 years. Gold pieces awesome!

Almost all my jewelry has been in storage for 9 years. Most of it came from QVC and some from HSN dating back to Jan.1994. The really good stuff is at the bank. After buying and returning so much jewelry this holiday season, I had almost forgotten how great the Q use to be.

I told my brother I missed my jewelry. This weekend, he got it out of storage and helped me spread it out on his table. Everything was in silver safe keepers making viewing easy. 

Words can not describe the heavy feel of my 10 to 18 k gold pieces. No dental floss chains. Chunky bracelets from Italy. Diamonique, diamonds and gemstones set in 14k gold. Round Honora pearls set in real gold. I almost cried!

No more "gold over" for me. No more dental floss chains. I am blessed to have been able to buy my treasures when prices were reasonable and Quality ruled. I'll keep a few pieces but the majority goes back under lock and key.

Respected Contributor

Re: Saw my Q jewelry for 1st time in 9 years. Gold pieces awesome!

Yes, I agree that when gold was cheaper, there were many bargains on the QVC and everywhere (although we did not know it at the time!), but I am not sure why you would buy all that jewelry and just have it sitting in a bank vault.

I believe it is important to wear and enjoy my jewelry, even if I just put it on in my house.

My jewelry also reflects my personal taste (I do not think that family will be standing in line to inherit it.). I also know that the resale market for jewelry is always weak, unless the items are very high-end famous designers.

Yes, the dental floss style can be annoying--but many younger girls favor that look over heavier pieces, and they enjoy layering.

So often the vendors say consider the price per wear before spending money on jewelry. If I had a lot of jewelry that I had no interest in looking at or wearing for almost a decade, then I would have to consider removing it permanently from my collection.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I purchased a very large amount of 14 and 18K gold jewelry too in the 1990's and early 2000's, here and elsewhere.  It had been in the bank vault for almost 5 years so one year ago I sold most of it when gold hit $2000/ ounce.  I'm so glad I did.  Tastes change, some pieces I no longer loved.  Jewelry is meant to be worn and enjoyed, not kept in a vault.

With gold so high, I was paid more than I paid 20-30 years ago.

Honored Contributor

Why keep jewelry under lock and key?  You might as well not have it it.

Enjoy it and wear it.  I have a lot of really good gold...even some 22k and 24k things from Iraq like bangle bracelets that close on the wrist with a tiny screwdriver.

When my mother-in- law was living, she kept her finest things in storage and saved everything for a special occasion.  When she passed, many of her " good things" were tossed and donated and sold.  No one in the family wanted it.

She never got to  enjoy her things. Jewelry is made to wear.  I have a safe in my home where I keep pieces I don't often wear.  My everyday jewelry that I never take off was expensive when it was purchased and is now worth much more.

I wear it because I don't want to waste my money.

Respected Contributor

I keep a few pieces in my safe deposit, too.  I have 2 wide 14K bracelets and a gold watch that I never wear now that I'm retired. There's also a beautiful tanzanite pendant which I won't wear except on special occasions due to that being a softer stone. My mom's wedding set is in the sd box, too.  If I ever lost that it would break my heart.

I really should sell a lot of what I bought from Q years ago. Maybe when my sis comes to visit, I'll recruit her to help. I just don't like parting with stuff, that's my problem.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

Why keep jewelry under lock and key?  You might as well not have it it.

Enjoy it and wear it.  I have a lot of really good gold...even some 22k and 24k things from Iraq like bangle bracelets that close on the wrist with a tiny screwdriver.

When my mother-in- law was living, she kept her finest things in storage and saved everything for a special occasion.  When she passed, many of her " good things" were tossed and donated and sold.  No one in the family wanted it.

She never got to  enjoy her things. Jewelry is made to wear.  I have a safe in my home where I keep pieces I don't often wear.  My everyday jewelry that I never take off was expensive when it was purchased and is now worth much more.

I wear it because I don't want to waste my money.

Oh, I so agree with you @Carmie . I do have some inherited pieces from my Grandmother that I keep in the safe for my granddaughters when they get older, but I do wear my good/real jewelry every day.

I even started wearing my gold pieces again. I thought I looked better with all silver when I let my hair go grey, but I figured, what the he*l. I always wore my silver bangles on my left wrist w/ watch, but now added a few thin gold ones...2 that are two-tone to tie in both metal colors. 

Pearls are my go to and always my diamond studs. Joan Rivers always said not to put away your good things...even china and silver. I use those at dinner every day. 

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

I keep a few pieces in my safe deposit, too.  I have 2 wide 14K bracelets and a gold watch that I never wear now that I'm retired. There's also a beautiful tanzanite pendant which I won't wear except on special occasions due to that being a softer stone. My mom's wedding set is in the sd box, too.  If I ever lost that it would break my heart.

I really should sell a lot of what I bought from Q years ago. Maybe when my sis comes to visit, I'll recruit her to help. I just don't like parting with stuff, that's my problem.

@Kalli   I agree about sentimental pieces, but what I do wear is insured for replacement value, so if lost...oh well. I will say that some of my pearls are from my beloved aunt who didn't have children and thought of me as a daughter. I only wear those for special occasions...Unfortunately, there are few of those now.  

Honored Contributor

yeah, when gold first went sky high over 2,000 an oz. I unloaded some good stuff to a online place that paid for shipping and if you wanted it back wasn't satisfied with the deal they would pay to send back.

I thought they would be like pawn shop and offered you pennies on the dollar, they called with their offer and I about dropped the phone and said "Thanks", got the check.

Now, I'm buying new LOL but not to much have nobody to leave too and my sister said she'd rather have cash she has no place to go that is that nice.  My Imperial Gold bracelet I'll have on in my casket. LOL

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

yeah, when gold first went sky high over 2,000 an oz. I unloaded some good stuff to a online place that paid for shipping and if you wanted it back wasn't satisfied with the deal they would pay to send back.

I thought they would be like pawn shop and offered you pennies on the dollar, they called with their offer and I about dropped the phone and said "Thanks", got the check.

Now, I'm buying new LOL but not to much have nobody to leave too and my sister said she'd rather have cash she has no place to go that is that nice.  My Imperial Gold bracelet I'll have on in my casket. LOL

USGOLDBUYERS    DOT COM

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  Maybe she enjoyed having her jewelry more than wearing it--which might have been possible for her.

Some people want their money in the bank, and enjoy it more there than spending it.  Some people like knowing they own something more than using it and maybe marring it or damaging or losing it.

People are different about what makes them happy more than I can relate too.  People that have tons of money and a house falling down around them, people that drive a shabby car when they could easily afford a new one.