Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Yahooey. The Flourite beads reminded me of "pop beads" when I was a kid. Anyone old enough to remember those? These Flourite beads are quite cold to the touch and I enjoy just rolling them around in my hands. Sometimes I get ideas that way.

@Shanus I don't know what 'pop beads' are but the candy necklance I remembered were multi colored pastels strung together. 

Unknown.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@Shanus

I do remember pop beads....

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey. Oooh. You must be a young one. Pop beads were rubber or plastic beads w/ a "bud" at each end that popped them together for kids to make long or short necklaces for play....many colors and sizes to trade w/ girl friends.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

I so enjoyed looking at your jewelry and fully understand how you can't give it up (retirement). It must be hard on the back and hands hunched over meticulously fusing pieces together. I never appreciated enamel before or rather the francais way of doing enemal. Thank you again for sharing your talent with us. If only you were closer to me. sniff sniff

Unknown.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Yahooey. Oooh. You must be a young one. Pop beads were rubber or plastic beads w/ a "bud" at each end that popped them together for kids to make long or short necklaces for play....many colors and sizes to trade w/ girl friends.

I'm not young as opposed to just not knowing what they were called. I played with the plain round ones and I was always upset when the end broke off. They were hard plastics and not bendy  I never knew the different shapes or textures existed. Maybe they came much later.

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Yahooey. It took many, many years to get the tough skin to put my jewelry out there for others to see. There can be a lot of rejection especially if I'm at a gallery when a woman walks by and makes a negative comment not knowing I'm the standing right there, the one who made it? Learned the hard way, that every one has varying tastes & had to tell myself "oh, well".

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey  Yay!!! Pop beads!!!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Forgot this one: Flourite beads 10 mm from Raleigh bead/gem show last weekend. Strung temporarily on nylon thread....beads vary in color from green, blue, teal and shades of purple. Individual colors can be on one bead or several colors marbled together on a single bead.

IMG_1954.JPG

These are gorgeous! I love the variation in color. I can't wait to see what you turn these into!

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue. Thanks. I was so drawn to the colors as well when I went back to the show on Sunday. I'm thinking the cool colors need to be w/ silver. That's a start in the creative process....I may make myself a simple necklace with a large silver open work bead in the center. I started sketching this afternoon. 

Honored Contributor

I remember when ""Pop-it"s were decent fashion jewelry. I had at least two colors of pearls that I remember.

They were big around '57-'59 then fizzled pretty quickly.

The baby pop beads have been around since.