Regular Contributor

Re: Ripkanista dog/animal lovers O/T - my Yorkie Paris II

Peach, my heart was breaking reading your post. Being in the dental field when you mentioned pv I knew thus,was a long road for you and your fur baby. Take comfort knowing what a wonderful life pootie had . Unconditional love!!! Been there I adopted years,ago a stray that came out from under a dumpster and,as hungry as he,was he just jumped into my arms and love at first site.turned out he had feline leukemia and had a short three years. But I knew it was a good three years minus the stages if fl. Currently I have two 18 year old rescue cats. So I know the love you have for your babies and can only imagine how much you miss pootie. Take care hugs!!!!! Floss
Honored Contributor

You could have avoided a lot of this heartache by giving your dogs the bordetella vaccine. It's a nasal spray that prevents kennel cough. My dogs get it routinely every year.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

I'm new to posting here at QVC, but your story just made me cry. I have two beloved dogs and we lost our 13 year-old lab last year. It's so heartbreaking. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Hugs to you.

Frequent Contributor

Peach, no matter how many times we take this path with our fur babies, it is always as heartbreaking as the first time. My heart breaks for you and your DH, and your other fur babies, who no doubt miss Pootie. Please know we are all there by your side, offering comfort and prayers.

Frequent Contributor

OMG Peach, I am so so sorry for the loss of your dear dog Pootie. I know there is nothing that I can say that will take away your pain at this very difficult time but I am hoping that in the future the fond memories of your dear furbaby will make your life a little easier. I know how it feels to lose a dear furbaby and I wished that no one else would have to go through this pain, but unfortunately that is not the case. Just wanted to let you know that my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. My deepest condolences, JOJO100
Super Contributor

I have been in your shoes and will be again one day. I lost my beloved Maltipoo in 2010 and before that, my darling Maltese in '99. I have never gotten over either loss, I've just adjusted but even all these years later there are times when something will remind me of one or the other and I still tear up. I have a rescue Pomeranian now.

You mentioned Kirk's Folly in an earlier post, (Jenniefer also was a Yorkie mom) and in one of their newsletters I came across this saying -

"Those of us who choose to surround ourselves with lives more finite than our own, will always be subject to the most heart-wrenching sorrow. Yet we would not have it any other way."

Healing Blessings to you, and I truly believe that you will see your little Pootie again one day.

Valued Contributor

On 10/19/2014 kachina624 said: You could have avoided a lot of this heartache by giving your dogs the bordetella vaccine. It's a nasal spray that prevents kennel cough. My dogs get it routinely every year.

Kachina624, perhaps you didn't read my post carefully and didn't note lines six and seven where I state that our new pooch from the shelter was "...heavily vaccinated." All shelter dogs are Bordetella vaccinated at our local shelter. You might also note that I wrote the new pooch became so ill from her multiple vaccines that she could barely walk for several days. Thank goodness she recovered.

However, you should also consider doing research because even your vet would tell you that the vaccine doesn't cover all respiratory issues, nor does it offer comprehensive protection, nor even prevent respiratory issues from spreading.

Furthermore, the dosage is the same regardless of the dog's age, size or health status resulting in side effects and deaths in some smaller, older dogs. I know this from personal experience because our fantastic 4-pound, 14-year-old Yorkie, Xi'an (she-ahn) was given the Bordetella nasal spray vaccine in 2012 when we boarded her at the vet while on a trip. It gave her Stephens-Johnson Syndrome (which a wonderful, helpful poster here pointed me toward and my vet agreed) which I wouldn't wish on the devil. She was infected by the vaccine and developed two quarter-sized lumps on her face which turned into little mountains, then the fur fell out and burst open into oozing sores. It was unbelievable.

The vet and I did everything humanly possible to fight the bacteria over several months and we thought we had it nearly licked (she was almost healed and back to normal) when it returned with a vengeance and killed her. This occurred over a hellish four-month period. Sincerely~Peach

Valued Contributor

On 10/19/2014 floss 84 said: Peach, my heart was breaking reading your post. Being in the dental field when you mentioned pv I knew thus,was a long road for you and your fur baby. Take comfort knowing what a wonderful life pootie had . Unconditional love!!! Been there I adopted years,ago a stray that came out from under a dumpster and,as hungry as he,was he just jumped into my arms and love at first site.turned out he had feline leukemia and had a short three years. But I knew it was a good three years minus the stages if fl. Currently I have two 18 year old rescue cats. So I know the love you have for your babies and can only imagine how much you miss pootie. Take care hugs!!!!! Floss

Floss84, thanks so much for stopping by dear Floss. How are you feeling? I love and am not even surprised to hear your story about your kitty from under the dumpster and how you stepped up to the plate...this is the Floss I know. Since you understand the dental issues of PV, I'm going to share that Pootie was very patient to let me trim his fur around his mouth sores so it didn't get too icky. He had been losing teeth, too. A couple of months ago, one broke so I took him to the vet who yanked it and another one in just a few minutes and presto, Pootie was very cool and free of pain. He dealt with it very well, I have to say. During a walk, he lost a major canine which I have saved, maybe to be a pendant (jewelry lovers would understand this). Please keep me up with how your 18-year-old kitties are doing. I pray they make it without illness to a good two decades!!!!! Thanks for the hugs and you take care, too!! ~Peach

Valued Contributor

On 10/19/2014 crillon said:

I'm new to posting here at QVC, but your story just made me cry. I have two beloved dogs and we lost our 13 year-old lab last year. It's so heartbreaking. I'm so very sorry for your loss. Hugs to you.

Crillon, thank you so much for reading, sharing and taking the time to post. Very sorry to hear about your 13-year-old Lab. Even though your Lab made it a long time, it is no consolation for the devastating loss and heartbreak. Very sorry! Thank-you for the condolences and hugs. They help! ~Peach

Valued Contributor

On 10/19/2014 Dead Eye said:

Peach, no matter how many times we take this path with our fur babies, it is always as heartbreaking as the first time. My heart breaks for you and your DH, and your other fur babies, who no doubt miss Pootie. Please know we are all there by your side, offering comfort and prayers.

Dead Eye, you are so right that it never gets easier. In fact, one even wonders how to be able to even get through it. I feel numb, exhausted and that things are so out of place. Our other two Yorkies, the newbie, she is still trying to figure things out, while our Alpha male, Chi (short for Chicago), is working extra hard to make me feel better. I do feel better knowing you are by my side offering support, comfort and prayers. THANK-YOU!!!! ~Peach