Super Contributor

Rhodium plated sterling silver

Can someone tell me how the rhodium plated sterling from the jewelery channel holds up? Seems like every time I see something I like, it's rhodium plated over sterling. Does it turn? Can you clean it like silver? I don't understand why they can't just make things in sterling silver, then I know I can clean it. 

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Respected Contributor

Re: Rhodium plated sterling silver

[ Edited ]

All silver and white gold jewelery is rhodium plated no matter where you get it.  its an industy standard.  You will not notice it worn off of silver since they are both white metals you will probably notice a lack of shine. i never had my silver replated. now with white gold, gold is not white  but is bleached with other metals to make it look white but still a little yellow  tint will show, thats why white gold gets rhodium plated.

Honored Contributor

I bet 90% of the silver jewelry produced now days has a rhodium or "platinum (really rhodium)" plating.  Try a couple pieces, you won't look back.  Cleaning involves washing in a mild soap with a soft brush, if necessary.  I think the only thing I like in true silver at present is native American.  I have a lot of jewelry and perhaps that's why all of mine is in good condition.  You need an answer from someone that wears their pieces almost every day, but I bet they say the same thing. 

Respected Contributor

It depends on the thickness of the plating and the item you purchase.  A ring or bracelet gets more surface wear than earrings or a pendant.  Usually the high spots such as prongs get worn off first.   You clean them like other items but using polishing cloths with rouge may remove all the plating if you are not careful.   Sunshine cloths are a good choice.

Respected Contributor

If your item does need replating your local jewler can usually do the job in house.  Check around as prices vary.  Some use Palladium instead of Rhodium.  Either are good choices but Palladium may be cheaper since it's cheaper for your jeweler to buy.

Respected Contributor

I hate silver that's NOT rhodium or platinum plated.  Except for artisan crafted pieces, almost all silver jewelry has the plating.  My rings and bracelets never tarnish, and I wear several bracelets and at least four rings every day.  The only time I ever had a problem was when I had a piece where they apparently didn't get the plating on thick enough in one area......then it starts to turn brownish-yellow, but you can still repolish it with a cloth. That's only happened a couple times, and I've been collecting gemstone jewelry for 25 years, so I have more than I care to admit!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The only thing you don't want to use on rhodium-plating is an antitarnish polishing cloth because the cloth is treated with an mild abrasive substance which can prematurely remove the rhodium finish.

Honored Contributor

I've never had the rhodium finish wear off a piece of silver but I don't have a piece that I wear every day.   I have close to a ton of silver (really)  and almost never need to polish it. I prefer a rodium-free finish because I like the patina of the silver.   If properly stored in tarnish resistant boxes,  it won't need polishing. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have read that it is actually an improvement. It makes the silver shiny and stronger. I've read it doesn't lessen the silver,  but improves it.  However, I recently bought a rhodium plated, sterling silver chain – so I will eventually let you know how it holds up!

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

All silver and white gold jewelery is rhodium plated no matter where you get it.  its an industy standard.  You will not notice it worn off of silver since they are both white metals you will probably notice a lack of shine. i never had my silver replated. now with white gold, gold is not white  but is bleached with other metals to make it look white but still a little yellow  tint will show, thats why white gold gets rhodium plated.

@kcladyz  You are mistaken: all silver is not rodium-plated!  None of the Indian made tribal jewelry is plated with anything.   I don't think the Israeli jewelry is plated either.   Most silver jewelry is not plated which is the way I prefer it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment