Regular Contributor

Resin filled 14k gold jewelry

I heard it is supposed to be very strong and does not dent or scratch. What are your experiences?

New Contributor

Re: Resin filled 14k gold jewelry

hardly any gold on a piece. might be stronger, can not be repaired if dented

Is this jewelry a resin dipped in gold, and how thick is the 14K?

Respected Contributor

I don't care for it and won't buy.  

Respected Contributor

@dansker wrote:

Is this jewelry a resin dipped in gold, and how thick is the 14K?

@dansker

Good question. They bill it as gold jewelry that's been filled with resin to give it strength and resiliency but if the gold piece is very thin to begin with, it would be more accurate to call it resin dipped in gold or gold-plated resin!

Honored Contributor

That is an excellent question Dansker.  I have never purchased any but I wonder if it is resin dipped in gold.  They never go into detail when presenting it.

Honored Contributor

They make the piece then fill it with the resin before it's sealed.  Resin filled gold is less easy to dent but no one will buy it because it can't be melted.

I sold fine jewelry for four years, and while I am not a gemologist, I was trained by a gemologist.

Honored Contributor

I won't buy resin and gold.  The gold is no more than clad, maybe less.   I tried one piece early on and the gold peeled within 3 months.  

Respected Contributor

Have no interest in this line.  Not repairable.

I love gold rings with a resin core! I have one, which has outlasted my other gold rings by years!

When gold prices are high, there just isn't enough thickness to gold rings in the lower price range, to make them durable. My favorite large band rings are in the scrap-gold pile while the braided, resin-core ring that I never remove, is still wearable, with no dings and is not misshapen. It is scratched and worn, but intact.