Honored Contributor

Question (suggestions) please for children's jewelry

I don't buy much jewelry as I have my "key" pieces spouse gifted me over the years.

My granddaughter is celebrating her 7th bday.  I'm not giving her toys, etc. she is having kids bday party.  She has everything & more she is a only child. 

I think she is at a good age to start wearing jewelry, take care of it & she recently had her ears pierced.  

Here's the scenario:

I had always wanted to gift her a beautiful cross at her baptism (well her mother never allowed her to be baptized 🙄☹️ long story).   So the cross is out she won't allow her to wear it and when she was born I gave her a beautiful gold bangle engraved inside.  Recently, I asked her (gd) when we went to the "grandparents dance" if she would like to wear it.  Sadly, she had no idea what I was talking about!  I inquired with her mother...no idea where it is👿👿👿

I'd been thinking of getting her a nice locket w/our pic inside.  Where do you get the locket pic because the salesperson had no idea.  

If not this, I was thinking a heart w/our birthstones (like a mother's ring idea).   I went to "mall" jewelry store and limited children's jewelry selections or very expensive.  

Others have suggested  a nametag or nameplate necklace necklace.  Of course, I don't think this is a good idea at her age for reasons I'm sure you know.

Any suggestions of stores or online retailer that is "trustworthy".  Also, any ideas other than what I thought of are appreciated.  I don't know any "personal" jewelers here -- and my jeweler up north has retired.  

do you think she is "too young" for good jewelry?

She is very responsible with the costume pieces I've given her and of course, her earrings.

Thank you!!! 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question (suggestions) please for children's jewelry

Try Ross Simmons online.

They have a nice selection of children's lockets.

Honored Contributor

not really sure how much you want to spend.

here is a pretty necklace that would be appropriate.

http://www.qvc.com/Honora-Girls-Flower-Sterling-Cultured-Freshwater-Pearl-Pendant.product.J111842.ht...

another idea may be a pandora necklace. check out the floating heart locket. you could get her a necklace ,one charm to go inside, and then add onto it for special occasions.

https://us.pandora.net/on/demandware.static/-/Sites/default/dw3c0a68f3/images/home/banner/CategoryMasters/Desktop_LandingPage_Banners_768x314_lockets_060117.jpg

you could also do a shorter pandora necklace and purchase a charm now and ones in the future.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

When my 2 grandgirls were 7 they didn't own "good" jewelry and I think 7 is too young to know how to be responsible for it. To me, that comes with getting a bit older Smiley Happy

AND being that mom has no idea where the gold bangle is, I would wait until your girl is in her middle to late teens to get her something pricey.

I know this isn't the answer you want and I'm sorry. But little girls that age need little kid jewelry. It might be different if her mom had any idea where the gold bangle is.

I love the idea of the locket with the 2 birthstones but I wouldn't take the chance. Please let us know what you decide.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45

Never thought of Pandora and I have 4 filled ones🙄. Great idea, thank you!

Someone told me at luncheon today there is a "home party" jewelry company with the same concept but didn't know the name.  Do you? 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1  Floating charm locket8C48D520-E96B-43C0-AD66-A657C42F1B65.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Tiny blessings site. I don’t know anything about this site though.C1334238-E1DC-4240-A84C-173527CAFDAC.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids

I agree!  Things are so different now nothing has "meaning".

I wore my cross until I was older & I was gifted when I was her age my italian grandmothers beautiful jewelry when she passed. My father was the "keeper" until I could wear jewelry at 10 and never let me forget its importance.  At my wedding, I wore her cross and earrings.  

When my niece (who is my goddaughter) was born I gifted her a bangle.  When she married recently she wore her great-grandmothers cross & earrings (she returned to me).  

She also will be gifted my baby cross and I'll buy bangle if she blesses us with a baby girl ....someday😊 (I can wish it's a girl). 

I will only have this one grandchild since my other son & fiancé are not planning children.

Thank you for your advice!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@butterfly123

I just looked there ... too expensive at least imo.

what is the site with the floating heart?  I know @sunshine45 mentioned Pandora.

I guess I should have thought about price too🙊

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

sorry, i do not know the name of the company that may do home parties with jewelry similar to pandora.

i started off my children with fine jewelry under the age of one. my girls got their ears pierced when they were babies. they began with 18k earrings. they also got tiny bangle bracelets very young. some of these items they still have and can pass along to their daughters some day. others were "traded up" as they got older and as the cost of gold rose.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein