Trusted Contributor

Question on Tahitian Pearl size please advise pearl lovers

I would like to buy a pair of Tahitian Pearl stud earrings from my favorite pearl vendor PearlParadise.com. My question is should I buy size 9.0 to 10.0 mm studs or 10.0 to 11.0? I am worried that the larger size will cause my earlobes to droop. I have a pair of 8 mm cushion cut blue topaz earrings and they cause my ears to drop as well as my 7mm amethyst earrings. I have a feeling that the larger size will cause major drooping. But I love the big size! I don't like the plastic backs that some people suggest for this. Also, what is the most versatile color for Tahitians? I was thinking of silver/gray. But peacock is the most prized. I have black/green baroque dangle Tahitian earrins and a matching necklace also from PearlParadise.

I would appreciate your responses. Thanks in advance.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Question on Tahitian Pearl size please advise pearl lovers

These simple support discs will help alot with drooping.  Etsy has them in different sizes. They are inexpensive and reusable.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TROPICISLANDJEWELS?ref=search_shop_redirect

Hope this helps.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have many pairs of Tahitian dangle earrings but only one pair of Tahitian studs which are in the 9 to 10 mm range. The pearls are beautiful but on me they feel small. I do have a pair of golden ss studs and they are 11mm they show up and look great. In pearls one mm difference can show so much bigger because it is a round sphere and the volume is what makes them appear so much bigger. Here is a thread to check out on Pearl-Guide that has great explainations:

http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8465&highlight=pearl+size

How the different mm pearls look on the ear:

http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7942

Respected Contributor

Actually the silver high lustre pearls are more prized than the peacock which if poor quality can look muddy or muted. You can call PP and ask them as well.

Respected Contributor

I've purchased 2 strands of  pearls from PP-1 baroque Tahitian and 1 baroque white South Sea-love and wear both. I also purchased a single 12mm golden as a pendant and a Tahitian pendant for my DD.

Respected Contributor

@maestra wrote:

Actually the silver high lustre pearls are more prized than the peacock which if poor quality can look muddy or muted. You can call PP and ask them as well.

I've never heard that before.  Can you point to where you heard or read this?

Occasional Contributor

Stabilizing earring backs, often called clutches, hold heavy earrings securely in place and disguise droopy earlobes. The stabilizers help keep earrings from stretching as well. As for the most elegant Tahitian pearl, it is black for for sure! But you can try out other variants.