Honored Contributor

Re: Question for platinum jewelry owners

Don't polish anything metal.  It will wear off. And Platinum is super valuable.   You can get it cleaned at a Jewelers.  I love platinum whether it's very shinny or softer gleam it gets over a span of years.  Like gold it does not react to anything.  I actually prefer it over gold. My Platinum does not have rhodium on it, but others do.  I also have a tri toned 18K diamond ring without any rhodium on it. I never knew that.  The jeweler made a notation when I took it in to be fixed.  Boy, was I surprised!

Honored Contributor

Take it to a jeweler who works with estate jewelry and platinum, not all jewelers work with platinum.  You need to have it steam cleaned, polished and most importantly you need the prongs inspected.  And you need it appraised.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus

The jeweler did exactly that. Haven't u seen those Judge Judy and Judge Marilyn Millian shows - where people take gold jewelry - some with diamonds to a jeweler - and leave it. When they pick up their jewelry, the diamonds are replaced by fakes.

YES - the jeweler brought his equipment to the counter and removed the diamonds in the band ring and diamond ring - and reset it right in front of me. It was at the jewelry mart, downtown Los Angeles. My friend was with me - and she made me of aware of wht to do.

Proving that the jeweler changed the gold or quality diamonds in ur ring or other piece - is VERY hard to prove. Some people don't realize it right away.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Don't polish anything metal.  It will wear off. And Platinum is super valuable.   You can get it cleaned at a Jewelers.  I love platinum whether it's very shinny or softer gleam it gets over a span of years.  Like gold it does not react to anything.  I actually prefer it over gold. My Platinum does not have rhodium on it, but others do.  I also have a tri toned 18K diamond ring without any rhodium on it. I never knew that.  The jeweler made a notation when I took it in to be fixed.  Boy, was I surprised!

@songbird  If it’s a solid precious metal like gold, silver or platinum and not clad, it cannot wear off. 

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

Since the ring is 71 years old (WOW) I would take it to a jeweler for cleaning.

My wedding ring is platimum - the jeweler DH purchased it from recommended cleaning it in a mixture of 1 part Mr Clean to 4 Parts water.  I soak the ring in the mixture over night and all the gunk comes out and it sparkles again.

@mimomof4  You can also use just use dishwashing soap and a toothbrush. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@songbird  If it’s a solid precious metal like gold, silver or platinum and not clad, it cannot wear off. 

Sorry, if you use a cloth on gold or platinum....yes, it will wear off.  You're rubbing it.  I'm not even thinking of any clad.  Solid metal.  Don't rub it.  You slowly wear it away. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Exactly @Shanus. After spending most of my career in Fine Jewelry at Tiffany's, we were always told that polishing a metal is perfectly fine and you won't lose metal. It is a myth that it can....

Respected Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for all the info you provided!  Mom’s wedding set is special to me because it was so special to her. I want to take great care of it and pass it on to my niece some day. 

I think for now I’ll use mild liquid soap, warm water and a soft brush to clean it. At some point I’ll have the local jeweler clean it and check it over. 

Occasional Contributor

I get mine professionally polished by the jeweler periodically.  They will make it look like new for you.

Esteemed Contributor

Platinum seems to need a coating after a while. I'm not sure why, but all my older white gold and platinum jewelry pieces seem dingy. I bring them to our jewelry store to have them "dipped". The metal comes to life after and is restored to its beauty.