Respected Contributor

Question about the durability of gold clad

[ Edited ]

If this has been discussed recently forgive me. I don't come to the forums often. Been eyeing a gorgeous diamonique ring. Have never purchased gold plated jewelry from Qvc. Can anyone tell me how it holds up? If the yellow gold color doesn't last over time, I'll go with the silver one. Thanks 

Harmonize the World
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about the durability of gold clad

@fairydogmother 

Lately there have been complaints about the gold wearing off. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is going to wear off. I had a pair of lovely earrings gifted from HSN that didn't last more that a couple of months. Some say 6 months depending on the vendor. I supposed it will also depend on how often the piece is worn. 

Respected Contributor

Well your answers have saved me money 🤓. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother   it really depends on how you are going to wear it.  i have plenty of gold clad that is still in perfect condition, even after many years.  But i don't wear any of it as a everyday piece. 

however, if the piece you are eyeing is going to be worn 7/24, shower, dishes, ect. it will shorten the life of the finish. 

Honored Contributor

Anything clad is temporary.  Anywhere from 6 months to 10 years.  It depends on how much you wear it.  If you wear it a lot, better get used to silver showing. Even when you wear solid gold, tiny flecks of gold sometimes comes off. Jewelry rubs against your skin.  I try to avoid silver and save my money for solid gold. There is no substitute.

Honored Contributor

If you want a finish to act like gold, you will indeed have to buy gold.

There is no way past it.  

Clad is great for occasional wear.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

If you want a finish to act like gold, you will indeed have to buy gold.

There is no way past it.  

Clad is great for occasional wear.

Exactly.  Currently the shelf life of plating is anywhere from 6 months to 10 years.  But temporary it is. The less you wear it, the longer it will last.  Same thing with plating on silver.  Gold & platinum never tarnish because they never react to anything.  Silver does.  I think rhodium stays on silver a bit longer then gold on silver.  But both are temporary.  Even worse (for me anyway) is gold over bronze.  Yuk.

Honored Contributor

If you wear it quite a lot it will wear off especially a ring in the back. I wear one as my wedding ring, gold worn off in the back, but rest of the ring looks perfect.