Valued Contributor

Question about sterling silver with gold plating or black rhodium plating

[ Edited ]

I noticed on "silver" day that a lot of the sterling silver jewelry being offered was not only in just silver, but also yellow and rose gold plating or black rhodium options. Was wondering if the plating helps to keep the items from tarnishing as much as the plain silver items do. Since I don't own any pieces with plating, I wanted to ask those of you who do. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about sterling silver with gold plating or black rhodium plating

Plated silver does not tarnish as readily as unplated.  However, silver worn on a daily basis and silver stored in an anti-tarnish jewelry box or bag also will not tarnish.  I have some Indian-made bangles that i never remove and have worn for 20 years thst are bright and shiny but have never been polished.  Silver is often plated with platinum so it retains its silver color but doesn't tarnish.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

the plating bonds better to silver. it's referred to as vermil. 

i have several pieces and they have held up well.

Esteemed Contributor

If the gold is just clad and is a thin layer, it won't do a thing.  Junk  stuff for tweens who lose things.  The silver, and maybe the gold, just tarnish anyway.

Honored Contributor

I own all kinds of plated sterling jewelry, including vermeil and clad. If tarnishing is a concern then I would invest in a jewelry box which has an anti-tarnish lining. These types of boxes will keep all of your metals from tarnishing, including gold, bronze, copper and sterling. Just be sure to remove tarnished items before placing them in the box. The anti-tarnish boxes will not remove tarnish but will prevent it from forming.

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for the info. I was really curious about this, so appreciate the help.