Valued Contributor

Question about JMH jewelry from Ireland

[ Edited ]

I recently bought two pieces of JMH jewelry and received them today. J351910 is the sterling silver sleeping beauty turquoise claddagh necklace, and the other is J351909, the matching earrings. I've never bought anything from JMH and wondered about their packaging. Any piece of sterling silver I have ever bought from QVC has always been enclosed in a little plastic bag with an anti-tarnish strip. Neither of these were (there was a strip, but no bag to help keep them from tarnishing). Plus, there was no card or pamphlet included like you get a lot of times with other brands. I thought, for sure, there would be something describing the meaning of the claddagh design, or what sleeping beauty turquoise is and where it comes from, or at the very least, how to take care of these items. But nothing! Could any of you who own these pieces, or anything else made by this company, tell me if it's normal for them not to include info on their jewelry? Thanks. (Oh, by the way, if you go to the listings for either of these items, you may see that I posted my question about including a card on there, too. Thought I'd post this everywhere I could to try and get an answer.)

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about JMH jewelry from Ireland

@qualityshopper    I'm not familiar with this line specifically but if you have questions about the Sleeping Beauty I can answer them.  There's a ton of info online too. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

I recently bought two pieces of JMH jewelry and received them today. J351910 is the sterling silver sleeping beauty turquoise claddagh necklace, and the other is J351909, the matching earrings. I've never bought anything from JMH and wondered about their packaging. Any piece of sterling silver I have ever bought from QVC has always been enclosed in a little plastic bag with an anti-tarnish strip. Neither of these were (there was a strip, but no bag to help keep them from tarnishing). Plus, there was no card or pamphlet included like you get a lot of times with other brands. I thought, for sure, there would be something describing the meaning of the claddagh design, or what sleeping beauty turquoise is and where it comes from, or at the very least, how to take care of these items. But nothing! Could any of you who own these pieces, or anything else made by this company, tell me if it's normal for them not to include info on their jewelry? Thanks. (Oh, by the way, if you go to the listings for either of these items, you may see that I posted my question about including a card on there, too. Thought I'd post this everywhere I could to try and get an answer.)

@qualityshopper  It is possible QVC sent you returned merchandise from what you describe.

Respected Contributor

I have the necklace and I don't think I received a plastic bag, but I don't keep them in bags anyway.  The Irish merchandise is not always shipped the same way other QVC merchandise is shipped.  They also don't send a small cleaning cloth either.  My necklace has not tarnished yet at all and I've had it since last year.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Does packaging really, really matter?

You are buying the special piece of jewelry, not the plastic bag or cardboard box. JMH provides Irish design and a made in Ireland stamp.

Many people who collect silver have large tarnish-proof jewelry boxes to use to store all their items, instead of keeping it separately in little bags.    I do not like to polish silver, so I rarely buy it, but I know that if you wear it all the time then you rarely have to polish it.

The claddagh is a part of Irish history since the 1600s, and all the information is found on the Internet (friendship, love, loyalty).  

Sleeping beauty turquoise is from the U.S., and the person whose father briefly owned the mine in Arizona also sells jewelry on QVC  (Matthew Foutz-Generation Gems).

There are many, many more turquoise experts in the U.S. than in Ireland who can answer all your care questions !

Valued Contributor

Thanks all for responding. 

@FancyPhillyshopper --No, the packaging doesn't really matter--I was just curious why they do so differently than most companies that I have bought from on here do. I am so used to sterling silver items being sent in the manner I mentioned, along with some card included, that it seemed strange to me. As I said, just wondered it this was normal for them. Obviously, I can get all the info I want about any of the things I brought up by just searching online. I wasn't asking about those things, however, I just wanted to know if this was how this company shipped.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@qualityshopper    I'm not familiar with this line specifically but if you have questions about the Sleeping Beauty I can answer them.  There's a ton of info online too. 

@Kachina624  I don't buy turquoise, but everywhere you look is Sleeping Beauty.  What is Lander Blue?  I've never seen shopping channel offer them.

Honored Contributor

@songbird    Shopping channels extensively marketed Sleeping Beauty and still are if they can get it.  The mine shut down several years ago so it's gotten more scarce, although it's far from rare.  It's a poor quality stone, at least the shopping channel version is, being soft and chalky.  It must be stabilized with resin before it can even be cut and polished.  Turquoise fanciers don't even talk about it and, unless it's old stone which was better quality and has matrix, they don't collect it. 

There is a recent thread with a discussion about Lander Blue on the Jewelry Forum, titled "Turquoise" .  You'll never see it on TV as it's too rare and very expensive. You'd be hard pressed to find one cabachon for sale. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@songbird    Shopping channels extensively marketed Sleeping Beauty and still are if they can get it.  The mine shut down several years ago so it's gotten more scarce, although it's far from rare.  It's a poor quality stone, at least the shopping channel version is, being soft and chalky.  It must be stabilized with resin before it can even be cut and polished.  Turquoise fanciers don't even talk about it and, unless it's old stone which was better quality and has matrix, they don't collect it. 

There is a recent thread with a discussion about Lander Blue on the Jewelry Forum, titled "Turquoise" .  You'll never see it on TV as it's too rare and very expensive. You'd be hard pressed to find one cabachon for sale. 

Thanks.  Even I'm aware of the glut of Sleeping Beauty. I don't care for it.  I'm not a semi-precious gem fancier, but I've only recently heard of Lander Blue which actually grows in value. I've heard it's a different color (dark blue)

North America is quite poor in good gem stones, unlike South America/Africa (which used to be one continet)