Contributor

This is what I found online about "burmese ruby": 

"Burmese Ruby:  Ruby with an exceptional red color (usually but not necessarily from Burma). Occasionally also used to describe synthetic Ruby."

So if they are described as "rare" but the description says it could also be synthetic, are they really worth buying?  How do you really know if they are real or lab created?  It is confusing...

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Burmese Ruby

Seller legally binding disclosing? Correct me if wrong. The same with heat applications for colored gems topaz so on. HSN posts such information. Not sure the protocol? Your question excellent.
Respected Contributor

Many are now glass filled with a new process, these include JTV's mahaleo ruby, and Chuck Clemency's new Burmese rubies on Evine. Buyer beware, check descriptions carefully.This material is inferior and would not have been sold years ago.

Honored Contributor

I recently bought a really beautiful ring here at the Q (no longer available) and the stones are small, but the color is impressive. 

As I get older, I get much less impressed with pedigree. As long as the setting is 14k and the color is good, fine with me.

Honored Contributor

Read the small print in the listing for any of Evine's rubies.  Very upfront about what they are doing.  Not sure what QVC is saying, but I'm assuming all current stones and rough shipped from Myanmar (Burma) is the same no matter who is selling it. If they find some flawless stone in a major size, none of us is going to get it, its going to a major jeweler for big bucks. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Myanmar.  If it's not from there it's not a Burmese or Burma ruby.  Get a GIA lab report when you buy a Burma ruby.

20170125 Burma Mines

This type gem has  a blue red primary color with a murky darker red undertone.  It  should resemble human blood to pigeon blood in appearance.  It should have silk inclusions, especially if you want a star ruby. It should be transparent.  These gems are usually pygmy gems.  Very small, very rare over 3 carats.  It has an unusual "glow" about them that other rubies do not have.  A lab ruby will be a flat red and "thick" in appearance.