Valued Contributor

Question For Any Jewelry Makers Out There

I received a set of 3 Imperial Pearl bracelets that are gorgeous, but just a little too snug for my wrist (they only offered one size).  I was thinking about taking one and restringing it, alternating with another gemstone like Conamera marble. Has anyone done something like this before? Where would be the best place to buy gemstone beads? Is there a good tutoral for how to do this? Thanks! 

Respected Contributor

Re: Question For Any Jewelry Makers Out There

Yes, I do this all the time.  What kind of gems are you looking for?  I just ordered a bunch of gems from a lady on ebay.  Rhodolite, Citrine, Neon Apatite, Spinel, Amethyst and peridot.  I selected these colors to make some new necklaces and incorperate Tahitian pearls into them.  The strand were under $20.00 for 13 inches and the gems are perfectly machine cut.  Here is a photo of one of them.  rhodolite.jpg

Respected Contributor

This video may help, I don't use elastic but many do. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W40_NR4dWas

Valued Contributor

The concern I have is the holes in the pearls are very tiny, unlike the beads in the video (Thanks for the link). They seem to be strung on some sort of cheap stretchy plastic. While I could probably find some thinner elastic thread, I worry that I wouldn't be able to find a needle small enough to thread through them. 

I hadn't even thought of doing this, except one of the bracelets has this strange silver metal disc with numbers on it, with no way to get it off except by taking it to a jewelers and having it removed or restringing it. I am considering getting an "As Is" Conemara marble and Tiger's Eye bracelet to try this out. I think the Conemara bracelet would be too small for me in its own. I think I could get a couple of nice hybrid bracelets out of this!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I initially bought a thicker elastic but couldn't get it though the hole of my Tahitian pearl.   I took a pearl shopping and found the right size that would fit was .5mm.  There is no needle involved.   This was from Walmart. The pearl a small freshwater pearl.IMG_5779.JPG

Respected Contributor

The hardest part is the knot, that's why I gave you the video.

Respected Contributor

Here is a quality video from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lB1VlV5kLU

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I do this all the time! esmereldagooch is corrent, you don't need a needle!  Like her, I get a lot of my supplies from etsy. I also get a lot from Michael's and Hobby Lobby. As well as Fire Mountain Gems and Artbeads (online.)

I find making/remaking my jewelry to be a LOT of fun and you can have unique items. Also make gifts!!

Youtube is loaded with instructional videos.

I also recommend the Lowly Beaders Club thread at the Pearl Guide forums. You will see lots of inspiration there!

I started with elastic cord and gemstone beads. I now knot pearls and do a lot of wire wrapping. It's addictive!!

Honored Contributor

This takes some skill,  know-how and tools.   You'd probably be ahead by having someone do it for you.   You can't just sit down and start stringing unless you want something that looks like a big mess.   Shops that sell beads and supplies often have classes or could do it for you. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

If you are looking to use wire or to use silk and knot between the pearls, you may want to go to your local bead store that gives classes, other wise you'll be better off at a jewelry store for this repair.  By the time you buy the needed equipment to do the job, it will cost more than if they do it for you.  By the way, I teach children to do crafts and skills.  I have taught children to make pearl necklaces with silk, knotting between the pearls and even a 8 year old can master this with a little help to learn the skill.

Please let us know what you end up doing and your finshed item.