Honored Contributor

Re: Question About Automatic Watch

thanks for the winding tip. I too am new to the automatic watch but I plan to get many more :-)
Respected Contributor

Great response LJ. DH used to have a automatic and loved it. I was considering buying him another. You are a great resource on the boards..
Honored Contributor

Hi Lavender- Please don't think I was being at all sarcastic about your excellent response. Truthfully I feel a little wistful about the fact that old OLD watches like the ones I received as gifts in my childhood can no longer be easily repaired becauseof the proliferation of battery powered watches. Nothing so useless as a battery watch with a dead battery, but the old tickers could often be coaxed back into service. Your comments were as always, knowledgeable and apt.
Honored Contributor

I have two Citizen Eco Drive watches. They only need motion or light to keep them running. My "dress" watch is worn infrequently, but never loses the time. I keep it where it gets some light from my mirror lights. My "everyday" watch gets plenty of arm motion and daylight. I've had both of them for a couple of years now and only have to reset them when the time changes No more batteries!!!!!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Krumpette: from what I understand, the Citizen Eco Drive watches operate on a completely different system than mechanical or automatic watches. My brother had one. Every few months he would give it to me for a light treatment. The power cell wasnt' getting enough light in his daily use, so I put it in a sunny window for a week to recharge it. Then he was good to go for a while. The Eco Drive is a great watch, but like all complicated pieces of machinery it has it's 'requirements' to operate properly. I'm glad yours fits into your routine well.

Respected Contributor

Newnick: there are very few skilled watchmakers around these days. I'm lucky to have one about 30 miles from where I live. But repairing old mechanical movements can get expensive and parts are sometimes difficult to get. It's always a trade off... love of the watch vs. cost to repair/maintain. In the last year I've scrapped one and repaired one.

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 Lavenderjunkie said:

Krumpette: from what I understand, the Citizen Eco Drive watches operate on a completely different system than mechanical or automatic watches. My brother had one. Every few months he would give it to me for a light treatment. The power cell wasnt' getting enough light in his daily use, so I put it in a sunny window for a week to recharge it. Then he was good to go for a while. The Eco Drive is a great watch, but like all complicated pieces of machinery it has it's 'requirements' to operate properly. I'm glad yours fits into your routine well.

Eco Drive or Solar (Seiko) are permanent batteries charged from any type of light. They are not to be kept in the dark for that reason. They last, on the average 14-16 years! Your brother could get a watch box with a clear top and keep it on the dresser.

Respected Contributor

ECBG: I've told him to leave the watch out and not put it in the drawer. Do you think he listens? Watches are not his thing.