Super Contributor

Re: Queen Elizabeth II Engagement Ring

[ Edited ]

Lovely ring, lovely story...

But QEII's hand struck me...nearing 100...no dishpan hands there!!

Esteemed Contributor

Didn't he make a bracelet from the rest of the stones for a wedding present?  

Some many stones, so many choices.......

My MIL passed down a sofa 🥰

Honored Contributor

I have one of those older cut diamonds, mine cut or rose cut I can't remember.  I'll have to loupe it and see how it compares to the closeup.  To be honest I hate that "hole" that always shows up in the lower point or cullet of the stone.

Respected Contributor

What amazes me is how unwrinkled and youthful looking the Queen is for her age.

Honored Contributor

yeah, why don't she have age spots, liver spots, broken veins, bumps, etc?

what kind of foundation she use, wonder?  Of course she stays out of the sun, but, pushing 100 you know your face is gonna tell a story.

Never could figure that out.   long lens caught Kate one time with stray dark hairs on her chin. Bet you won't see that again. 

Super Contributor

I like to read the blog: From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault. Recent pictures of the queen are posted and the jewelry she is wearing is identified with links to background information.  Here is what was posted about the queen's wedding ring:

Her wedding ring is made from Welsh gold. The Clogau gold came from a piece of gold from the 1911 closure of the Clogau St. David's mine; the gold was given to the Queen's parents for their wedding in 1923 and furnished rings for the Queen Mother, the Queen, Princess Margaret, Princess Anne, and Diana, Princess of Wales before it ran out.

Subsequent gifts have replenished the royal stock of Welsh gold, allowing the tradition to continue. A gift from the Royal British Legion went towards the ring for Sarah, Duchess of York. A 60th birthday gift of gold from the Gwynfynydd mine might have provided the rings for the Earl and Countess of Wessex. And the tradition continues today: the Duchess of Cambridge's wedding ring was made of a piece of Welsh gold the Queen gave Prince William after the couple's engagement.

Honored Contributor

I think it's really lovely!  But I like antique looking settings and jewelry.  A really sweet story behind it as well. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Didn't he make a bracelet from the rest of the stones for a wedding present?  

Some many stones, so many choices.......

My MIL passed down a sofa 🥰

Here is a photo of the bracelet.   Princess Alice had such a sad life.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

True, and her Aunt Ella came to a tragic end too. This was all during the Russian Revolution.  Queen Elizabeth took in his mother and kept her up till she died.   I'm reading a book right now on Prince Philip.

Honored Contributor

A mere $257,000?  That's if one of us ordinary commoners owned this ring.  Because it is the Queen's, hypothetically if it ever came to market, it would be worth millions.