Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,910
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Quality of jewelry today vs 20 yrs ago

Which designers? Even RLM is using bronze.  I'm only buying some ethnic costume jewelry from Linea.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,663
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

Re: Quality of jewelry today vs 20 yrs ago

[ Edited ]

@tzatke wrote:

Which designers? Even RLM is using bronze.  I'm only buying some ethnic costume jewelry from Linea.


 

I'm assuming you're asking me which designers I like (?)...

 

I like JAI very much although I'm not crazy about the current Alaska collection they are featuring.  The pieces are substantial and well made.

 

I also like Peter Thomas Roth's jewelry; again well made and solid feeling.

 

Dweck has some beautiful and unusual pieces, and Bixby, although sometimes overly ornate, is very unique.

 

The designers from Isreal make some lovely pieces (love Hagit), but sometimes their things feel kind of thin and lightweight to me.  

 

If I think of any others I'll post again.

“One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.” ~ Plato
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,465
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Quality of jewelry today vs 20 yrs ago


@faeriemoon wrote:

I've been watching the Q since the early nineties and I have always thought (even back then) that the findings on their gold jewelry were cheapo, and the jewelry was made to fool the eye.  Things were hollowed out and made to look larger and heavier than they actually were.  They in fact used to come right out and say how they had developed methods of jewlery making to give you a big look for less.

 

These days they have even done this with the silver jewelry.  I have found  their designer jewelry to be much better, and I stick with that for the most part. 

 

I think the glory days of QVC are a figment of people's imagination.  Prices have increased, yes; but so has everything in "the real world."  I do agree though, that older Diamonique looks better than newer Diamonique.  I have no explanation for that. 

 

I also think that programming was better "back  the day."  

 

The big thing with QVC has always been convenience.  But convenience is everywhere now, and it usually offers better pricing and better shipping. However Q customer service remains very good IMO, and many sites cannot say the same.


So true, I bought hollow earrings back then and quite a few of them are now dented.

 The only pieces that have held up are Imperial Gold and my heavy omega necklaces. 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,098
Registered: ‎01-14-2017

Re: Quality of jewelry today vs 20 yrs ago


@sandy53 wrote:

... Once I bought a Vicence gold watch at an estate sale for $15.  

If it was 14k, I think the gold is worth more than that in melt value.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,098
Registered: ‎01-14-2017

Re: Quality of jewelry today vs 20 yrs ago


@Songbird1 wrote:

I loved  the Elegance of 18K shows.  It was once a month.  Loved that show.  Only gold I ever purchased from QVC.  Only recently that I've purchased 14K.  There was a time I turned my nose up on 14K, LOL.  But most of my gold was ShopNBC.  Now that was gold!  Big gram weights.  My husband got me my 38 gram Omega.  Oh what a honker that was!  It's sits in the bank vault now.  that was the heaviest necklace I got.  I got a gorgeous 28 gram bracelet too.  I still wear that. 


Shopnbc had the best gold!  Was that the "Charla" toggle bracelet? Gorgeous!  Tastes changes and I don't wear those big pieces anymore.  I sold my "charla" toggle bracelet recently of that gram weight.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,098
Registered: ‎01-14-2017

Re: Quality of jewelry today vs 20 yrs ago


@crawford5153 wrote:

...Do you remember when the Ramseys use to come on Evine way back when it was called Shopnbc?  They had the very heavy gold weight jewelry and I was spellbound when watching it.   Anymore, all gold has been dumbed down in wieght and I actually got a pretty filigree 14k gold ring from Ross Simons and believe it or not it bent lol.  Sent that sucker back so fast!

 

I too have a heavy wieght two tone 14k gold byantine necklace that I adore and it is wide.  Have several other solid gold necklaces including a rosetta gold one, three bib necklaces, an oval link one that is 24 inches long, etc.  I also have two diamond at dco watches; one in platinum and one in 14k gold.  The bands on both are also adorned with diamonds. 


I loved the Ramsey jewelry!  It was absurdly affordable even for the times.  I still have, love and wear some Ramsey pieces.  I have many regrets over pieces I did not buy that would have been wonderful to wear even now.  I also bought my byzantines that I still love and wear!

Valued Contributor
Posts: 728
Registered: ‎03-15-2010

Re: Quality of jewelry today vs 20 yrs ago


@NYCLatinaLaw wrote:

@crawford5153 wrote:

...Do you remember when the Ramseys use to come on Evine way back when it was called Shopnbc?  They had the very heavy gold weight jewelry and I was spellbound when watching it.   Anymore, all gold has been dumbed down in wieght and I actually got a pretty filigree 14k gold ring from Ross Simons and believe it or not it bent lol.  Sent that sucker back so fast!

 

I too have a heavy wieght two tone 14k gold byantine necklace that I adore and it is wide.  Have several other solid gold necklaces including a rosetta gold one, three bib necklaces, an oval link one that is 24 inches long, etc.  I also have two diamond at dco watches; one in platinum and one in 14k gold.  The bands on both are also adorned with diamonds. 


I loved the Ramsey jewelry!  It was absurdly affordable even for the times.  I still have, love and wear some Ramsey pieces.  I have many regrets over pieces I did not buy that would have been wonderful to wear even now.  I also bought my byzantines that I still love and wear!


 

My byzantine of all my necklaces is the one I go to first to wear when going out.  It is always in style and blends in perfectly with all my other jewelry.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,098
Registered: ‎01-14-2017

Re: Quality of jewelry today vs 20 yrs ago


@handygal wrote:

It's not just jewelry. The quality of EVERYTHING is not what it was 20 years ago! 


So many things are better!  Shoes, hair and beauty products, computers, phones, tvs....

Valued Contributor
Posts: 880
Registered: ‎04-18-2010

Re: Quality of jewelry today vs 20 yrs ago

What has happened to the pearl jewelry?  Everytime I take a look at pearls, all I see are those disgusting ringed pearls.  They are inferior.  

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,098
Registered: ‎01-14-2017

Re: Quality of jewelry today vs 20 yrs ago


@avid shopper wrote:

What has happened to the pearl jewelry?  Everytime I take a look at pearls, all I see are those disgusting ringed pearls.  They are inferior.  


Climate change has been affecting the production of oysters that produce the akoya pearls that I assume you are referring to.  Pollution is also killing the mussels that produce freshwater pearls that Honora and other vendors bring us.  So get your pearls while you can.

 

I remember when I was a child we would have codfish on Fridays.  Now it is practically extinct and we eat substitutes.

 

We need to protect the environment so we can enjoy its riches!