Trusted Contributor

Re: Quality of jewelry today vs 20 yrs ago

[ Edited ]

@grayhairdontcare wrote:

Went to an Estate Sale this weekend. It was noted in the program that there was quite a bit of vintage QVC jewelry + products up for sale.

I was lucky enough to get a low number for entrance to the sale. I was also lucky enough to get a shoe size box full of vintage Q jewelry. There was a pretty good selection of Diamonique, some Joan Rivers, a few Kenneth J Lane things and some sterling chains. Also a few of those watch sets when they would sell sets of 5 and remember those necklaces...Wish Pearls...they were in there too. A few sets of Quacker Factory button covers for various holidays was in there too plus a Kirks Folly piece.

Just going through the Diamonique the quality from years ago is heads above what the offer today. The vintage Q items was hands down gorgeous.

Will clean everything up and decide what goes to consignment and what goes to eBay and what goes to me!!

Mind telling us how much you paid for the box?  Once I bought a Vicence gold watch at an estate sale for $15.  

Honored Contributor

I loved  the Elegance of 18K shows.  It was once a month.  Loved that show.  Only gold I ever purchased from QVC.  Only recently that I've purchased 14K.  There was a time I turned my nose up on 14K, LOL.  But most of my gold was ShopNBC.  Now that was gold!  Big gram weights.  My husband got me my 38 gram Omega.  Oh what a honker that was!  It's sits in the bank vault now.  that was the heaviest necklace I got.  I got a gorgeous 28 gram bracelet too.  I still wear that. 

Trusted Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I loved  the Elegance of 18K shows.  It was once a month.  Loved that show.  Only gold I ever purchased from QVC.  Only recently that I've purchased 14K.  There was a time I turned my nose up on 14K, LOL.  But most of my gold was ShopNBC.  Now that was gold!  Big gram weights.  My husband got me my 38 gram Omega.  Oh what a honker that was!  It's sits in the bank vault now.  that was the heaviest necklace I got.  I got a gorgeous 28 gram bracelet too.  I still wear that. 

Do you remember when the Ramseys use to come on Evine way back when it was called Shopnbc?  They had the very heavy gold weight jewelry and I was spellbound when watching it.   Anymore, all gold has been dumbed down in wieght and I actually got a pretty filigree 14k gold ring from Ross Simons and believe it or not it bent lol.  Sent that sucker back so fast!

I too have a heavy wieght two tone 14k gold byantine necklace that I adore and it is wide.  Have several other solid gold necklaces including a rosetta gold one, three bib necklaces, an oval link one that is 24 inches long, etc.  I also have two diamond at dco watches; one in platinum and one in 14k gold.  The bands on both are also adorned with diamonds. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@grayhairdontcare wrote:

Went to an Estate Sale this weekend. It was noted in the program that there was quite a bit of vintage QVC jewelry + products up for sale.

I was lucky enough to get a low number for entrance to the sale. I was also lucky enough to get a shoe size box full of vintage Q jewelry. There was a pretty good selection of Diamonique, some Joan Rivers, a few Kenneth J Lane things and some sterling chains. Also a few of those watch sets when they would sell sets of 5 and remember those necklaces...Wish Pearls...they were in there too. A few sets of Quacker Factory button covers for various holidays was in there too plus a Kirks Folly piece.

Just going through the Diamonique the quality from years ago is heads above what the offer today. The vintage Q items was hands down gorgeous.

Will clean everything up and decide what goes to consignment and what goes to eBay and what goes to me!!

Nothing is as it was 20 years ago.  Solid gold jewlery is so lightweight now you question whether or not it may break.  I have bought my very best heavy weight gold jewelry from vintage/estate sellers on Ebay. That way I know I am getting quality jewelry that is the way it use to be for us long ago. I especially love he Art Deco era.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister and I got gold from ShopNBC together.  We both got the Omegas.  Hers was 42 grams, but it was 14K. Mine was the 18K  and though hers was  a little heavier, technically I had more gold!

Sad note about Susie's omega.  She fell in to the habit of falling asleep with it on.  Sadly it kinked.  In fact it got so dented, she couldn't wear it anymore.  She had to resell it to melt down.  

I never wear any jewelry when I sleep.  Even my diamond I take off before bed time. 

Respected Contributor

The silver jewelry was much more substantial 20 years ago as the price of silver made it possible to have more weight at a good price. I love my bracelets from the silver style shows.

Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

It's the high price of gold today that has caused manufacturers to cut corners

Kind of.  They're keeping their high margins, and they increase the prices regardless of the costs.  There's a white gold ring I've been eyeing for years, and despite the fact that the style isn't costly to produce, it's gone up 40% in two years.  Diamonds have also plummeted in price.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Frequent Contributor

@sandy53I paid $35. Crazy some might say but thats half the fun....not knowing what you will find.

Trusted Contributor

@grayhairdontcare wrote:

@sandy53I paid $35. Crazy some might say but thats half the fun....not knowing what you will find.

Wow!  Great buy!  I agree about the mystery being part of the fun.  Thanks for responding.  

Honored Contributor

It's not just jewelry. The quality of EVERYTHING is not what it was 20 years ago! 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~