Frequent Contributor

Quality of jewelry today vs 20 yrs ago

Went to an Estate Sale this weekend. It was noted in the program that there was quite a bit of vintage QVC jewelry + products up for sale.

I was lucky enough to get a low number for entrance to the sale. I was also lucky enough to get a shoe size box full of vintage Q jewelry. There was a pretty good selection of Diamonique, some Joan Rivers, a few Kenneth J Lane things and some sterling chains. Also a few of those watch sets when they would sell sets of 5 and remember those necklaces...Wish Pearls...they were in there too. A few sets of Quacker Factory button covers for various holidays was in there too plus a Kirks Folly piece.

Just going through the Diamonique the quality from years ago is heads above what the offer today. The vintage Q items was hands down gorgeous.

Will clean everything up and decide what goes to consignment and what goes to eBay and what goes to me!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Quality of jewelry today vs 20 yrs ago

I’m glad I bought all that QVC jewelry years ago, the fashion pieces as well as the gold. One of my kids needed some money way back when and I was able to get over $1000 for her by selling gold jewelry I never wore. Now I have pieces I can enjoy, grateful that I was able to make minor investments when the price was right

Esteemed Contributor

10 to 15 years ago, I purchased beautiful 14KT & 18KT gold earrings, bracelets, chains -- and a few Brazilian Amethyst pendants and rings from the Q. They're my treasures.

Honored Contributor

It's the high price of gold today that has caused manufacturers to cut corners

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember QVC selling a lot of jewelry made in Italy, the best country to have jewelry made in the world.  

Many looking for lower prices went to China.  QVC still does sell some made in Italy.  

For fashion jewelry, Rhode Island manufacturing was the best, but that probably is being sent to China, too. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I do agree that QVC had some great gold jewelry buys in the past.

However, gold was also a lot lower in price.

I am thankful for my collection and all the variety of pieces I collected from QVC.

I find that I can still score some nice items at good prices during special clearance/sale events.

Judith Ripka, Imperial Gold and Eternagold still have some well-made and detailed pieces that are occasionally offered at reasonable prices.

I try never to pay more than $30.00--50.00 per gram for QVC 14K gold jewelry.

One area that QVC has always been weak in is high quality diamonds.  It took a long time before QVC even published all the diamond 4C's. 

Best wishes on your sales efforts!

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I remember QVC selling a lot of jewelry made in Italy, the best country to have jewelry made in the world.  

Many looking for lower prices went to China.  QVC still does sell some made in Italy.  

For fashion jewelry, Rhode Island manufacturing was the best, but that probably is being sent to China, too. 

@Foxxee   Is there a way to give more than one ❤️? 

Respected Contributor

They still occasionally have gold from Italy, Milor being one.

I do believe one of the reasons the quality has tanked as far as substantial weight is related to cost of shipping. I think there are restrictions as to how much a piece can weigh in order to be shipped via Q’s standard shipping costs. They are not going to tell the consumer this though.

@grayhairdontcare enjoy going through your vintage box. I sold a lot of my gold years ago when that was the popular thing to do! I have also donated a lot to a local charity thrift shop. I do go through my stash from time to time and decide on donations etc. I don’t have heirs that will be interested. For me, I have enjoyed especially the bracelets I purchased from Q because they have fit my larger wrist. Very seldom does a retail store sell bracelets in three sizes. A lady in my condo died a few years ago and had quite a collection of Q jewelry. Most of it was sold in an estate sale which I did not go to because I knew she only had small size bracelets. Sadly whatever money her heirs got from the sale was not enough to keep her condo from being foreclosed. I do know she had just about every eterna gold bangle sold.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee 

I purchased 3 pairs of 14KT gold earrings - made in Italy - from Costco on-line -- in the last 2 years. Paid $90 to $110 - for each. One pair of small studs, 1 pair of large, slim, round hoops, and 1 pair of flat oval hoops. Love them!!!!

Respected Contributor

I started buying jewelry on the Q about twenty years ago. My mother was in assisted living and wanted some jewelry. Obviously nothing that had to be kept in a safe deposit box.

The first year I got some quality Joan Rivers that was made in R.I. Old pieces; her new ones were 'imported.' I lived near R.I. at the time and was aware the factories were going under.

I wish I had bought more gold for myself. I did buy Veronesa, which has held up beautifully. My mother had shimmery silver hair. Silver looked amazing on her. I remember buying her a silver necklace with a lacey looking heart for twenty bucks. People actually thought it was an heirloom. I bought some backups and wear it still. I remember it went up to seventy five bucks and then it was gone.

Loved the Taxco Traditions silver. And the southwestern line. All gone.

Surprised there is not more silver. I thought the price had come down.

Now I buy Linea ethnic looking pieces.