Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I buy everything on easy pay...keeping the item I pay it off immediately, returning the item I'm not waiting for a full price refund. I make easy pay work for me, it's great. No one is forced to buy from Q, don't like the prices then buy from another retailer...shaming Q is silly.

Maybe it works for you @kitcat51 but, it is definitely a tactic to sell more. When people see $15 a month on easy pay it makes it more budget friendly. If easy pay didn't make them more money do you think they would offer it as much? They use psychological tactics in sales.

Beware everyone, and be careful because easy pay doesn't help you if you can't pay if every month!!

Honored Contributor

not everybody who uses EZP cannot afford what they buy.  I use it consistently because it's "free" money for a while.  I have never used it to buy anything I could not have paid for at the time I purchased it, but when there's no discount for cash, I can't think of any reason not to leave my money where it may earn whatever little short-term investments are paying while I benefit from using someone else's money.

I was in no danger of accepting EZP yesterday because one of the promises I made to myself 8 years ago actually stuck.  When I want a "new" piece of jewelry, I find something I already own but haven't worn for a year or more.  Best price of all.

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

I do not understand how The Q is "taking"  people. Anyone that makes a purchase here, is wise enough to discern the best payment method for them, and WILLFULLY do so.😊

I cannot afford a 5,000 ring, but if price was not a concern for me, and I desired it, I would not hesitate to pamper myself.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles   Personally, I'd never purchase expensive jewelry online...sight unseen. It wouldn't matter if it was easy pay or not. 

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

I have to say I agree with the OP.   My husband has studied gemology as a hobby for many years.  He cannot even believe what they charge for some of the jewelry on QVC.

Granted some pieces are more affordable than others but most are extremely overpriced.

Though it is not his profession, he is quite skilled at it.

And yes I also agree that the easy pay they push along with their credit cards does hurt some consumers.  I know people have to make their own decisions but you can't help but feel for the ones that are not aware. JMO.

@LindaSal   The shipping handling,most of the time, on jewelry is $5.50 ( assume insurance?). If you don't love it in person, $6.95 to return it. That has to be figured into the price, too. 

Respected Contributor

@minimalistWF I totally agree. I only buy and pay total.

Too hard to keep track of easy pays.
Some shopping 

channels talk about splitting payments on several 

credit cards, for those near the top limit of one

card. 
'CAVEAT EMPTOR, BUYER BEWARE. THIS IS THE NATURE OF CAPITALISM.

Honored Contributor

Someone needs to tell me what retailer doesn't use psychological pull to attract buyers.  Every sale price, every payment plan, every coupon, every story with or without animals, and on and on-   Every one of them is crafted to attract buyers.  Big companies do it, tiny local companies do it, companies on the way up try it, companies sliding into disaster try it.  

who doesn't?

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I buy everything on easy pay...keeping the item I pay it off immediately, returning the item I'm not waiting for a full price refund. I make easy pay work for me, it's great. No one is forced to buy from Q, don't like the prices then buy from another retailer...shaming Q is silly.

@kitcat51   I thought I was the only one that does this.  It works wonderfully!!

I always choose Easy Pay, unless:

1.  it's a food item that I've purchased before.  

2.  The total price of the item is so low that the EP is less than what the return fee would be.  

Otherwise, after my purchase arrives, if I like it I go into my account and pay off the entire balance.  If I need to return it, I'm only out the Easy Pay (and return fee).  I don't return much, but when I do I never have that angst I see so often on the boards of "where is my refund??!!"  

Honored Contributor

When you buy jewelry from QVC, you're paying for all the middlemen including anyone from the people who are needed to present the stuff on air and the people who buy/sell gems and the gold/silver smiths from around the world. There are no direct sales to lower the cost of the jewelry sold here.

Honored Contributor

Easy pay and free shipping---2 words that can suggest a great deal------- I have fallen for that myself-----but the costs of metals and diamonds/gems  are sky high ---thankfully I am not a diamond girl or a gold girl. . When I buy I do shop around for the best deal however. It's fun to look tho!!

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles   I agree with you except for one thing. If I had $5K to spend on a diamond ring just because (the holidays are coming) I'd be in a great jewelry store to ogle over and try on as many rings as I could stand and then choose one in person.