Respected Contributor

I was looking through the Affinity line fora gift for my daughter. I was floored by the gross overcharging on every piece I saw! I'm not GIA certified,but I shop jewelry and have purchased my fair share. Example : there was an emerald cut diamond set in a halo setting, 14 white gold. Lovely ring, center dia prob 60 points. The price was close to $5000! If it were D color and IF set in platinum it might approach $5000. Shame on QVC for taking people! It's because they offer value pay poor folks buy the things. An Amitrine ring in rose plating (listing page said 14K!) was nearly $300. It was a mix of the two stones but more of a checkerboard that a half and half. Shame!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Re: QVC too pricey

[ Edited ]

I don't know if you're referring to yourself but A lot of people can get seduced by easy pay to buy things they can't really afford but it's on them if they pull the trigger to buy.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not understand how The Q is "taking"  people. Anyone that makes a purchase here, is wise enough to discern the best payment method for them, and WILLFULLY do so.😊

I cannot afford a 5,000 ring, but if price was not a concern for me, and I desired it, I would not hesitate to pamper myself.😁

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Super Contributor

@GenXmuse Agreed, seems like people really get sucked into easy pay!  As far as I'm concerned, if you can't afford the whole purchase price at once, then you really can't afford it.  That tells me that someone probably has very limited savings, etc. and would not be able to even handle an emergency situation like a car repair.  Very sad!

For me, I never use easy pay because I hate how confusing the charges are on my credit card.  Easier to keep track of purchases when I go through my purchases and budget excel spreadsheet.

Super Contributor

@SandySparkles Well they can push hard with the sales tactics and get people to buy things that they really cannot afford.  The allure of easy pay makes it seem affordable, but you are still paying for the item either way.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC too pricey

[ Edited ]

@minimalistWF Tis' the season for shopping.😁 I certainly appreciate your perspective🥰, but I think of the millions of Americans that are dusting off credit cards; the balances of which for many will be paid over time; retail depends on it. Because prices across the board have skyrocketed this year, I expect that retailers; large and small are pulling out all the stops.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

I buy everything on easy pay...keeping the item I pay it off immediately, returning the item I'm not waiting for a full price refund. I make easy pay work for me, it's great. No one is forced to buy from Q, don't like the prices then buy from another retailer...shaming Q is silly.

Esteemed Contributor

I have to say I agree with the OP.   My husband has studied gemology as a hobby for many years.  He cannot even believe what they charge for some of the jewelry on QVC.

Granted some pieces are more affordable than others but most are extremely overpriced.

Though it is not his profession, he is quite skilled at it.

And yes I also agree that the easy pay they push along with their credit cards does hurt some consumers.  I know people have to make their own decisions but you can't help but feel for the ones that are not aware. JMO.

Honored Contributor

Aside from the fact that I would never buy an expensive item from TV, if I did, I would have the jewelry item appraised by a reputable jeweler.  It can always be returned.  And I never use Easy Pay.

Honored Contributor

I buy everything on easy pay - when I buy. If I keep it, I pay it off right away. If I have to return it, it's a small refund. Q is notorious for slow returns processing so the full price isn't tied up until I know if I want to keep something.