Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't have a problem with created emeralds if that was disclosed (they are lovely and clear) but beware emeralds that have their fissures filled.  I'd ask that question and get a written guarantee.  Don't know what your budget is, or your daughter's expectations but maybe she'll have to wait for an even more "significant" birthday for you to fulfill her dreams.

Respected Contributor

Well, we went to our local jeweler and placed our order!  We have 100% trust in them, they have been our jeweler for a few years and have never disappointed.  They certainly aren't the largest emeralds, but they are beautiful.  We ordered the setting which is a semi bezel.  I think they will be beautiful.  Also, ordered locking backs;  don't want these lost!  This is the perfect big birthday for this gift.  Since none of us are getting younger, I wanted to be sure to be able to provide this gift and see her excitement.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I've been buying and collecting jewelry for years so I would buy emeralds from a shopping channel but I don't think you should.  You don't anything about emeralds and you've already been disappointed.  Go to jewerlry store and be sure to ask if the emeralds are created emeralds.  Many jewelry stores will not disclose that unless a customer specifically asks.  

In my experience if you see an emerald that is too green and too clear it is created. I've never seen a created emerald that looked real.

I'd prefer chrome diopside or even a tsavorite garnet.

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

@GSPgirl

Is the emerald a natural stone or diamonique?  I'm surprised a real emerald would be set in silver. 

It’s natural, but the stones around it are Diamonique.  Setting it in Silver allows it to be less expensive.  People think I’m wearing a vintage ring.  

Regular Contributor

I have not purchased emeralds from them, and would not. However, go directly to Ross Simons on line. I have beautiful sapphire & diamond earrings and the stones are so clean and brilliant! I also have total 1KT  emerald studs and they are just as beautiful. Their return policy is amazing if you don't like what you purchased. They are in the business of pleasing and keeping their customers coming back. Sapphires are set in sterling, and emeralsd in 14Kt

Super Contributor

I think you made a right choice by ordering in person. Stones are better to be seen. Every time  order, it is a gamble. Most of the time a good one. Emerald are way too tricky of the stone. 

Chrome diopside has a very different shade of green, if she wants emeralds, she wants emeralds.

I remember how important my requests to parents were at that age, it is great you get for your daughter what her heart wants. Happy birthday to her.

Respected Contributor

The best emeralds are Columbian emeralds, which have a unique deep green with a slight blue color.  Go to a respected jeweler and look at the emeralds.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

It's hard to find emeralds that aren't heavily occluded and if you do they are very verry high priced.My grandfather was a jewelry designer and in all the very expensive pieces of jewelry I inherited from my grandmother only one pair of emerald earrings - they  are just the accent stone beside  a pearl. Probably around 1/4 carat. You should talk to your birthday girl about accepting a substitute like chrome diopside as she will get a much better look for way less $$$. I have a pendant, earrings and ring set in chrome diopside in an emerald cut that are stunning.

Respected Contributor

It’s not easy to find very nice quality emeralds. And if you do, they aren’t cheap. 

I have a ring with small emeralds in a flower type setting. It’s cute, almost whimsical. The emeralds are a nice color. But when you loupe the stones, there’s a scratch here and there plus some black spots. This isn’t unusual for emeralds and I knew it before buying the ring.

Emeralds are not as durable as diamonds and sapphires. They also can have fillers or oil put into the stones. 

Honored Contributor

I doubt I'd ever buy emeralds from Q.  The ones I've seen online and on air are dull and full of imperfections.  If I can see the imperfections on tv or online, you know they'll be worse in person.  i know emeralds are naturally cloudy but some are much worse than others.  I do have an Effy emerald ring and it's a much better quality.  

There are several green gemstones that look like emeralds without all the imperfections.  Chrome Diopside is one of my favorites..