Honored Contributor

Purchasing jewelry online/TV

I have experienced great luck with Michael Dawkins jewelry with only 2 returns because I did not like the style in person but so far with Barbara Bixby I purchased 2 rings and returned 2 rings (her jewelry appears so different in person to me). Does anyone else experience a great difference when you see a piece in person versus online or tv? Share your story.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Purchasing jewelry online/TV

I've learned that you really need to pay close attention to sizes (in stones) but in general I've had good luck. I've purchased quite a few things from the jewelry channel including some gorgeous loose tanzanites that I still need to do something with
Super Contributor

I have to pay attention to the width of the band. If the ring is too wide I must go up a size or it wont go over my knuckle.

Honored Contributor

I'm most often disappointed with the tinny silver pieces. I was thrilled with the heft and size of the BB ring. I've received too much of the other stuff and can fully appreciate the value of her ring. I rarely buy shopping channel jewelry these days.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I think there's a learning curve. There certainly was for me. I had to learn about measurements because I really had no idea how big/small anything was. And I had to learn everything looks bigger and brighter on the TV screen.

For example, before QVC I would go to the jeweler and buy a pair of earrings. I never asked for a measurement. I just tried them on and made a decision based on how they looked on me. I really had to stop and think when I started buying remotely - how big, how much weight, how the fasteners worked, etc.

I was never a big catalog shopper, and truth be told, I still prefer to do almost all my clothing purchases and most jewelry purchases locally, especially because now when I look at jewelry I don't want much classic or basic. I've got that.

One thing I still don't do is concern myself with gram weights or carat weights with the idea of my jewelry being an investment. For me, it's not. It's something pretty I want to wear. Here and there I might sell something, but I don't spend enough on jewelry for it to be investment.

Honored Contributor

I do think you need to learn your gram weights, your carat weights, and your metric mm sizes. Then you won't be disappointed when that hefty item you saw on your 46" TV screen turns out to be some miniscule thing you need your reading glasses to see. I learned one thing when I ordered a slicing blade for my food processor. 6mm is about a quarter of an inch. From there you can figure 12 mm will get you a half inch stone, one mm will get you a tiny stone. Etc.