Honored Contributor

Holy cow! I received an email about tomorrow's EG show and went to look at the new inventory. New pieces are running $100 per gram, give or take. That's nuts. Gold is down almost 30% but their price went up.

Sorry, but I'll pass.

I found and have purchased from another online retailer that sells quality 10k, 14k and 18 jewelry. Their 14k runs $45-$75 per gram depending on the complexity of the piece. I've never been disappointed in their customer service or products.

Honored Contributor

I think I got this email last week and I was also stunned at the pp gram for these items. I know they are there to make money but they would make plenty of money still if they sold the items for a fair price. Oh well. Good thing I have plenty of jewelry.

I think they have just done a complete 180 on jewelry - all they want to sell now is costume. They have their 'designer' costume and what their Italian jewelry has become (probably 90 plus percent costume) and all their other little in-house named stuff (bronzo, goo-filled, etc) costume.

I think they don't want to be in the fine jewelry (gold) business anymore because they cannot sell enough of it fast enough to make the profit margin they get on the junk stuff.

Honored Contributor

OP please share where you are currently purchasing your gold. TIA.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Trusted Contributor

I got that email and checked it out. Didn't see anything that made me gasp, slobber and run to get my credit card.

Calm, you can't tease us like that without telling where your great source is. C'mon, fess up!

Honored Contributor
On 10/13/2014 Tique said:

OP please share where you are currently purchasing your gold. TIA.

sarrafdotcom

Honored Contributor
On 10/14/2014 VegasBusinessWoman said:

I got that email and checked it out. Didn't see anything that made me gasp, slobber and run to get my credit card.

Calm, you can't tease us like that without telling where your great source is. C'mon, fess up!

I thought about putting it in my original post but didn't in case the police saw it. Check out sarrafdotcom. I love them!

Honored Contributor
On 10/13/2014 chickenbutt said:

I think I got this email last week and I was also stunned at the pp gram for these items. I know they are there to make money but they would make plenty of money still if they sold the items for a fair price. Oh well. Good thing I have plenty of jewelry.

I think they have just done a complete 180 on jewelry - all they want to sell now is costume. They have their 'designer' costume and what their Italian jewelry has become (probably 90 plus percent costume) and all their other little in-house named stuff (bronzo, goo-filled, etc) costume.

I think they don't want to be in the fine jewelry (gold) business anymore because they cannot sell enough of it fast enough to make the profit margin they get on the junk stuff.

Q's financial reports show a huge drop in jewelry sales over the last few years, even some comments from investors and financiers. The problem is darned obvious to me. My sales records would tank, too, if I sold the cwap they are selling.

My friend from Italy laughs at Q's talk about Vicenza jewelry, bronzo, and resin saying no one would be caught dead in it in Italy unless it's purchased as super-cheap costume.

Honored Contributor

I think they do this so they can say, "See? You really don't want to buy gold, you want to buy this favorably priced Bronzo."

Honored Contributor

One of the reasons I stopped buying jewelry (and not just QVC jewelry) is the price of gold. I don't ever want to buy a 4 gram necklace for $400. This is one of the decades it's good to be old! I have several basic gold necklaces as well as some very interesting ones. There's not anything so different even for $4000 that I have to have it.

And I don't think it's just QVC having jewelry-selling trouble. All the jewelry stores in the town where I live in the summer are in trouble. Several have gone out of business over the last few years, so you'd think that would mean the others would be doing better. They're not - and that's true even for those that have gone from major collections to selling some of the fashion jewelry I see posters here raving about.

I swear some are surviving on repair work and replacing watch batteries, but that can't last long!

I took at look at that website. Prices are lower than EG, but be careful because some of the gram weights are 1/5 that of comparable lengths of EG- prices should be way, way less. I didn't find me a bargain.

Respected Contributor
You are right Millie. Buying old gold, repairs and wedding rings.