Respected Contributor

Re: Pre Owned Rings/Necklaces

@Just Bling So according to you, pre-owned houses, rings and necklaces are nixed. How do you feel about used earrings? Bracelets? Watches?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@banned again 

I'll just leave it as is and let you have your fun.

Honored Contributor

I'm going to throw a downer into this discussion.  Some of these pieces are the result of a divorce.  Women sometimes transfer their engagement diamond to their right hand, some get rid of it as soon as possible.  So perhaps it isn't wise to invest so much meaning into a purchase.  I still do it, one of my favorite bracelets says Graduation June 1915 in it.  A man's wedding ring says To Walter from Annette with an early 1900's date.  .

Contributor

Since 2002 I have lived near a treasure trove of antiques co-ops, many with exquisite jewelry. At first I gravitated toward the sterling pieces, with and without stones. Lately I've graduated to diamond rings. Some inheritance money was burning a hole in my pocket and I went on a search for a low-profile diamond band ring, not necessarily antique (100 years old-plus). After many weeks, I found "my ring." It's platinum with .65 points of diamonds including a center radiant cut. My friend thinks they are mine cut diamonds (the most sparkly!). I had to have it sized, but now it's my wedding ring. I love the idea of the secret history the ring has (it's not talking). BTW, the experienced jeweler who sized my ring (need someone who knows what they are doing when you have old metal with stones; sizing can loosen stones and ruin  the piece), she told me that many rings from divorces get melted down -- one time, the former wife wanted to watch while the jeweler melted down her ring!