Respected Contributor

My earlobes have double pierces.  The "main" pierce was done well over 50 years ago.  I have never had any problems with that pierce until recently.  It seems most of the new earrings I've purchased have a thicker post or in the case of hoops, the wire seems thicker.  Sometimes it's a real struggle to get the post or wire through my "hole."

It cannot be my holes are closing up as I have no problem inserting any of my older earrings. Has anyone else noticed this?

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting.

Never looked at whether the ones I struggle with have a thicker post.

Thanks for inspiring me to check that out.

@lulu1

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have noticed thicker posts on some of my earrings...especially the ones that are plated with either rhodium or platinum. I think the plating might make the posts somewhat thicker, not sure...just speculating.

Super Contributor

Hi @lulu1  I have noticed that some earrings have thicker posts or wires than others.  In fact, some of my "cheapie" fashion earrings seem to be the worst culprits. 

In the last year, I really narrowed down the earrings I wear, not intentionally, just less interested in all my options.  Since then, I have trouble wearing the earrings with thicker posts, they really make my ears sore.  At first I thought it was a reaction to the metals, but I've determined that it is indeed the post size.  I guess I'm glad that my piercings are still firm enough and I have no sagging. 

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

@lulu1   Yes. I have had that problem, and my original piercings are 42 years old.  The hole in my right ear seems to be a little smaller, so that's the one that sometimes gives me trouble.  I've never worn heavy earrings, so I guess I never stretched them out like some have.

I don't wear post earrings in those bottom holes, but I have gotten some hoops with a thicker hinged post that doesn't want to go through.  Sometimes those hinge posts are actually squared......those are the bad ones for me.  When I forced the earring through it caused a bad inflamation in my piercing.  I agree they are usually the metal overlay kinds of earrings.  I prefer to wear leverbacks most of the times.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Speaking of older piercings (and not to hijack your thread), but has anyone noticed that years ago earlobes were pierced lower than they are now?  I wish my piercings were a little higher.  My earrings always look like they're hanging off my ears; probably one of the reasons I not really into earrings, and tend to wear the same ones every day.

Respected Contributor

I once had to return a pair of white gold earrings becuase the post was too thick.  It happens.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  I thought I was imaging things.

I am not trying to be an elitist, but I do not buy plated earrings as I know I will have a bad reaction.

The earrings that have caused me the most grief trying to put in are these: Affinity hoops.  I thought I was fortunate to have them in both yellow and white gold.

Affinity Diamond 14K Gold Huggie Hoop Earrings, 1/2 cttw - J358842

I have a number of pairs of pearl earrings I've purchased from  RueLaLa.  They are 14K posts.

Again I say, none of my older earrings cause the least bit of trouble.  I have numerous pairs of gold earrings I purchased from QVC Gold Rushes when gold was CHEAP. Some are posts, others hoops or leverbacks.  They slip right in.

Honored Contributor

@lulu1   I posted about this sometime earlier this year. The thread is about 3-5 pages long with some excellent suggestions and explanations. If you search " hard to insert post through ear"or something like that, it should come up. : )

You are NOT the only one with this issue, believe me!

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam 

Thank you, I did find the thread.  There is comfort in knowing this is not just my problem.  So far, there has not been an earring I could not force through my piercings.  That being said, at times it has been a painful struggle.