Honored Contributor

Re: Pondering who to give my jewelry to...

@Kachina624 Though we were born and raised and are on the West Coast, my sister ADORES the kind of jewelry you have and has a few really gorgeous pieces.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a lot of very nice, and sometimes very valuable, jewelry. I've been buying fine jewelry since I was 22 ( I'm 78 now) and almost everything, except N.A. and Pollack, was acquired overseas, primarily in Asia. I don't wear any of the gold except my wedding band and its packed away. I have 2 sons, A DIL and 2 young grandsons. My plan is to eventually sell much of the gold ( some big heavy pieces within next year), label the sentimental gold and leave it all to my son ( the other son isn't interested). I need to catalog the silver, give most of N.A. to my Navajo DIL and figure out which chains, rings and cuffs will be attractive to my grands( currently 9 and 11). Will give all that to my son ( who is interested). Much of my gold and N.A. will bring more to much more than I paid ( ex. 4 season 18k bracelet which I paid $250 for 42 years ago is currently worth at least $6000). I also have several 22 k baht chains ( 1 and 2 baht and my DH has a 2 baht). Just this week I told my younger son I'll switch his 1 baht chain for my 2 baht ( DH will leave his 2 baht to other son) and sell his 1 baht ( I'll keep the money). We don't need the money from selling jewelry and hopefully never will, so I see it as a little insurance policy. Btw, my N.A. jewelry has also increased at least 100% in many cases.
Respected Contributor

I’ve enjoyed reading all the responses here and I appreciate all the suggestions! From the ideas posted on this thread, I made a plan.

I’ll start by separating out the pieces that are 14k and silver, no gemstones. Most of them I purchased from Q before gold became so expensive. They don’t have sentimental value like some of my other pieces so it should be pretty simple.  I’ll either sell them to an online business or locally. 

Once the first step is done, the pieces that are left will be either pieces I’m going to offer to relatives and friends now or those jewelry items with sentimental value that I’m going to hold onto a little longer. I think I’ll have my sis help me with regard to who might best enjoy each of these items in the last group. As time goes on I’ll part with them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kalli   In my area there is a jeweler that as an area for estate sale jewelry in his store.  

Is is consignment, I sold a piece for my niece and we were both pleased at the sale price.  You might see if anyone in your area offers that service.