Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pondering who to give my jewelry to...

No jewelry = No problem

(small pearl earrings - gold cross- gold ring. Few semi-precious stones which I dislike = so no concern)

Honored Contributor

This isn't a big deal.  If you don't want it, sell it!  It won't bring as much as you paid for it, but it will bring something so get rid of it if you don't want it.  

If nobody in your family wants it, then they can sell it after you die or give it to them now to sell what you don't care for.  It's just stuff.  One thing I have learned is that the things you leave behind are not the same to those left.  

So make it clear to those who have to deal with the left things that you don't care what they do with it!  Sell it, throw it away or whatever--it's theirs to do with as they please!  That takes a huge burden off of them.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kalli   Do you have any nieces or very close friends who may

love a piece of your jewelry as a gift? If not, this is a good time to sell gold. I have bought some nice jewelry from Etsy and that is an option if you want to sell. Also, some jewelers may either buy

or take on consignment, pieces to sell for you.

I have three daughters, a daughter in law, two grand daughters and four great grand daughters. For several years now, I have been giving pieces as gifts to my girls.

When the grand daughters and great grand daughters turn 10 years old, I give them a ring with their birthstone from my ring collection. Three times, on mother's day, I have let my

four older girls each pick a ring from my collection.

For birthdays, I have given the older girls some of my

silver and turquiose pieces from my native American collection. I gave a pair of jade earrings to a cousin recently.

When my grandson's wife became a citizen, I gave her a gold

Diamonique necklace to celebrate the occasion.

If there is no one to whom you would want to give pieces to, selling seems to be the best option. Then, you can

treat yourself to something special.

Esteemed Contributor

I just recently sold all my heavy gold to US Gold Buyers. I only kept my wedding set, a necklace with 3 pendants and one pair of huggie hoops. 

Decided I would use the money now.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

One thing I have learned is that the things you leave behind are not the same to those left.    

Completely agree with that.  My kids have their own stuff and they don't want my stuff, just like I didn't want my parent's stuff.  

Valued Contributor

@catter70 ...  nice to see you here  ...  I read your November post regarding your health and no updates.  I wanted to tell you that I too had lung cancer 14 years ago and they removed my upper lobe.  By the Grace of God I didn't require anything further, but I still go back every year for surveillance CT ... hope you are doing well ...

Honored Contributor

sell it, you can take the time to find someone who will buy it for a price that works for you.  Old Mine diamonds do have a value for those that value them

don't wait until you are in a "crisis mode"  

Respected Contributor

@Pantsonfire2 , thanks for asking. Like I said before, a mass was found in my lower left lobe back n Nov. during a routine low dose CT scan that I do every year. I was then sent  for a pet scan which showed that it had shrunk somewhat. A follow up CT scan showed it had remained the same. I go back to my GP today and I'm sure he'll give me a script to go for another scan then to my Pulmonologist later in April as I also have COPD. They are hoping that it was just something bacterial. My lymph nodes (so far) are okay and I feel okay, though I know that doesn't count for much.I must say, though, that I feel like I'm in limbo and just want an answer. Time will tell, I guess. I appreciate you remembering and asking. Also, I'm so glad of your outcome. Thanks, again.

Honored Contributor

@Kalli   My GDs are too young to make a decision whether they'd want any jewelry I have. My DD and DIL have alrerady looked through everything and I've given them what I'm not wearing anymore. 

I've sold most of the gold jewelry. My silver pieces, except for designer things, I'm still wearing and will designate they go to my DIL and she can divide it for the GDs when they're older.

I tried selling my Mom's diamond engagement ring and there's no place that would pay more than they can purchase diamonds at wholesale prices....less than 1/4 of it's appraised value, so I kept it. 

The way crime is today, I'm not wearing anything of value. It's all put away at the bank.

Esteemed Contributor

I am going through my collection and thoughtfully giving to my DD and DIL.  I want to set aside some pieces for my GD (Still very young) and even for my young GS’s future wife (I hope).  

I have quite the collections, in all categories.  But I am old, retired, and have a much smaller range of favorites.  Truthfully, I am having a hard time, as I am overly sentimental.

But working theough it.

And a little suggestion - if you have a diamond ring you no longer wear, why not turn it into a pendant for a gift?  I did with one, and it has been a big hit.