Valued Contributor

love to see my jewels new

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I'm gettng ready to go "out" and since I'm running early,  thought I'd take the time to give my "everyday" jewelry (earrings and rings) a quick once-over.  (I use toothpaste and old toothbrush on my SS and damonque, followed by polish with soft polishing cloth.)

I had hairspray build-up on my earrings ... and they looked so dull.  Got to remember to cover my earrings before I spray my hair.

@ALRATIBA  Newly cleaned jewelry looks so different. I’m so spoiled by having polishing wheel and lg. sonic cleaners up in my studio. Earrings? Hearing aids can’t get hairspray either. So all jewelry goes on after dressed and hair/makeup finished....especially anything w/ pearls.

Honored Contributor

Hearing aids are inserted in ear canal just before I get ready to go out the door.  They don't interfere with my hair.

---------------------------

@Shanus wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I'm gettng ready to go "out" and since I'm running early,  thought I'd take the time to give my "everyday" jewelry (earrings and rings) a quick once-over.  (I use toothpaste and old toothbrush on my SS and damonque, followed by polish with soft polishing cloth.)

I had hairspray build-up on my earrings ... and they looked so dull.  Got to remember to cover my earrings before I spray my hair.

@ALRATIBA  Newly cleaned jewelry looks so different. I’m so spoiled by having polishing wheel and lg. sonic cleaners up in my studio. Earrings? Hearing aids can’t get hairspray either. So all jewelry goes on after dressed and hair/makeup finished....especially anything w/ pearls.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus

Best gift I gave myself: a steam jewelry cleaner.  Results outshine ( pardon the pun ) all the former methods I used from a little brush up to and including the sonic cleaners.

Amazing # of people who comment on my jewelry after a steaming !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

I highly recommend not using toothpaste to clean your jewelry. Some brands can scratch softer stones and it can also scratch the metal.

I've always used a soft toothbrush and a mild dish liquid, or jewelry cleaner.

My husbands knows me so well. If we go any where I need a little extra time to clean my wedding rings, earrings, and necklaces. I see so many women who are wearing beautiful pieces but they look so dirty. I understand though because I have a friend with a gorgeous wedding set. I asked her if I could clean it and she was worried that a toothbrush and a little dishwashing liquid might hurt her diamonds. Lol! I told her, diamonds are 10 on the mohs scale of hardness. It doesn't go any higher than that. She was amazed at how beautiful and clean her rings looked after I was done with them. Now she cleans them herself.

Alratiba, just cover your earring with one hand while you're using your hairspray. Do the same on the other side. This keeps the spray off of your earrings.