Trusted Contributor

Several years ago, when QVC actuall sold platinum jewelry, I bought a necklace. It was a small heart with a acnter diamond. Today I was taking it off my neck and the jump ring and a bit of the chain completely came apart from the chain. This was an expensive piece back then and would probably retail for a hefty amount today. REALLY DISAPPOINTED. I actually did not wear it for a long time and just put it on yesterday for the first time in years.

Honored Contributor

Re: Platinum Necklace Broke!

@gigy wrote:

Several years ago, when QVC actuall sold platinum jewelry, I bought a necklace. It was a small heart with a acnter diamond. Today I was taking it off my neck and the jump ring and a bit of the chain completely came apart from the chain. This was an expensive piece back then and would probably retail for a hefty amount today. REALLY DISAPPOINTED. I actually did not wear it for a long time and just put it on yesterday for the first time in years.

@gigy 

Take it to a local jeweler and get it fixed.

Honored Contributor

Rejoining a broken link on a chain is risky. The link will most likely break again at some point in the future b/c soldering is never like the original. Your chain is only as good as the weakest link, as they say.

Contributor

Go to a competent jeweler and have it repaired.  I have a platinum ring that I bought from QVC years ago and have worn it every day since I bought it.  ( I actually bought it because I wanted to see how well platinum would wear - it's lovely.). It may cost a bit more to get a platinum jump ring but the right jeweler would be able to fix it and it would last.  Call ahead and ask if they repair platinum.  I'm sorry you are struggling with it right now but I really think it would be worth the effort to get it repaired.

Esteemed Contributor

@gigy wrote:

Good luck with your repair.  Platinum prices are through the roof.  I rarely see anything set in platinum, as it's not as readily available as silver and gold.  Platinum I thought was a much stronger metal than gold.  Geez, hope it works out.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Rejoining a broken link on a chain is risky. The link will most likely break again at some point in the future b/c soldering is never like the original. Your chain is only as good as the weakest link, as they say.

@SilleeMee   A soldered joint is usually stronger at the point where there's a break. Soldering material is almost like a metal wire which adds the strength. 

If the chain link is quite small, it may be difficult to solder  making it too stiff and/or joined to the next link. Larger links are much easier to work with.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee   A soldered joint is usually stronger at the point where there's a break. Soldering material is almost like a metal wire which adds the strength. 

If the chain link is quite small, it may be difficult to solder  making it too stiff and/or joined to the next link. Larger links are much easier to work with.

@Shanus 

That's not what my goldsmith friend told me. He said a repaired link will only break again.

Honored Contributor

I also bought a really nice open heart pendant charm (no stone, no chain) from those platinum shows they had. I also have a quarter sized platinum disc with 18K yellow gold rim around it as well two-tone pierced earrings. These are an 18K yellow gold smallish ball into the ears with a larger platinum round ball dangle. Yes I LOVE these prized pieces and YES I do wear them.

Boy, those shows were fabulous!

Honored Contributor

I have a fine chain with a Diamonique stone that is a permanent part of the necklace.  It broke right after I bought it back in the 90's.  My local jeweler soldered it and I've worn it on and off ever since.  14K gold.

Honored Contributor

Platinum actually is a bit stronger than gold.  This must have been a long time ago.  Even 10 years ago, it was rare to buy solid platinum.  I'm not talking about plating.  I love, love platinum.  Most of gem jewelry is set in platinum.  I also have a bracelet  set in 2 tone.  Separate pieces of solid platinum and 18K yellow god. Generally, white metals are stronger than gold. If gold continues to drop, platinum will pass it in price.  Not a lot of platinum is in this earth. Platinum, like pure gold is edible.  It won't harm you.