Honored Contributor

Anyone out there still wearing pins and brooches?

I have some pins & brooches that I really like. Some belonged to my mother, and others I purchased years ago.

I wear mine mostly in fall and winter on the lapels of coats, blazers, or on a cardigan. My mom used hers the same way. She also used her brooches on scarves, but I am not a scarf person. 

I've seen people pin them on hats, tops, dresses at the neckline or the waist, belts, and even in their hair. I guess I need to be more adventurous in my “pinning”. 

The other day I decided to pin one on my solid tan crochet handbag. I liked the way it looked. I thought that was a cute way to use a brooch in warmer weather.

I’m always hesitant about the holes pins cause in clothing too. I’ve thought about buying the magna pins that solve that issue, but reviews say you need two for larger brooches to prevent it from falling forward. I’ve also looked at pin converters that change a pin to a pendant, but reviews indicate that doesn’t always work well with larger heavier pins for the same reason. Does anyone have any experience with magna pin or converters? 

Esteemed Contributor

@wilma   I love pins, too.  In fact I have a collection of vintage pins.  I used to wear them on ribbons as chokers or pinned onto a jean jacket.  I always feared about pinning them to a garment and leaving a hole.  I am always in warm/hot climates now so I don't get many chances to use them.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@wilma :  I use a pin converter on a good sized solid ss Roderick Tenorio pin and frequently wear it as a pendant.  Converters are inexpensive and work well.

Esteemed Contributor

i have hundreds of pins...used to wear one to work everyday...retired in 2002...and haven't worn one since....sometimes i'll pin a few on a pillow....always wanted to frame them  so i could enjoy looking at them...but never did....

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I love pins.  I have been looking for some.  I don't want any that are holiday themed, or animal.  I wish more people made them.

Honored Contributor

@Travone 

Try Chico's .... I got a few really nice (some unusual) pins - watch for sales.

Firemountain gems sometimes has some cute ones.  Search for brooches on their website (firemountaingems dot com)  VERY low prices.

JCP has lots of them.

--------------------------------------------

@Travone wrote:

I love pins.  I have been looking for some.  I don't want any that are holiday themed, or animal.  I wish more people made them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Travone : I've had good luck finding pins on EBay (Joan Rivers, KJL, Chicos, etc).

Respected Contributor

Thank you @ALRATIBA and @patbz .  I will look at these places.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Pins & Brooches

[ Edited ]

@wilma I have magna pin.  I have used it successfully with some of my pins.  I do not like sticking pins on my clothes causing tiny holes.

None of my pins are very big so I have only used one magna pin at a time.

I imagine if you have a large or heavy pin you would need to use two magna pins.

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Respected Contributor

@wilma I love broaches.  I usually wear them on my shoulder or on a hat  Have  collection that includes vintage Monet, some with swarosky crystals, Tiffany, some dragon flys with semi-presious stones and some inexpensive fashion broaches.  Actually my favorite is that of a brighty colored fairly large fish painted on wood,