Honored Contributor

Re: Piling on jewelry

[ Edited ]

I wear 6 or 7 silver bangles every day.  I like to mix a variety of widths and textures so they look as though they came from different sources (which they did).  I've got mostly Native American with a couple of Carolyn Pollack.

I notice some people, Jill being one, who has a bunch of John Hardy bangles.  They all look pretty much alike, all the same size and finish with similar texture.  This is a surprising choice for someone who fancies herself to be a "designer".  A variety is infinitely more interesting.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I'm in the less is more category.

Valued Contributor

It definitely is an art form and I have it covered.

Always wore and still do wear a lot of jewelry.  Silver is my metal as are specific crystals and gems.   Some of it is hand crafted by myself, while others are other designer's pieces. It all works together and balanced in layers and stacking.  Very often strangers will offer their compliments and permit me to explain pieces with stories of the origins and artistry.   Like body tattoos, my jewelry is like a journal and tells my story.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Respected Contributor

i am a jewelry lovin, pile it high kinda gal.  

raritieslab.jpgorangenails.jpg20150701_180611.jpg20150428_173632.jpg20151231_192401.jpg20151223_174237.jpgevineturq0511817.jpgturqbangles6.jpg

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Trusted Contributor

I really think it depends on the individual and how their style and personality translate to jewelry choices.

When you see a friend who loves silver and piles it on, you think " that is so xxxx (insert name).

Coloring, body frame, hair styles, clothing choices all come into play to create your look.

That said, some definitely style themselves better than others.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I wear 6 or 6 silver bangles every day.  I like to mix a variety of widths and textures so they look as though they came from different sources (which they did).  I've got mostly Native American with a couple of Carolyn Pollack.

I notice some people, Jill being one, who has a bunch of John Hardy bangles.  They all look pretty much alike, all the same size and finish with similar texture.  This is a surprising choice for someone who fancies herself to be a "designer".  A variety is infinitely more interesting.

Hi @Kachina624. I agree. I think if you do more than 3 bracelets/bangles, they should look “collected” either from various designers or have sentimental meaning. Anyone can purchase 5 bracelets from the same line and play it safe that way. To me, it appears as though they were discounted and purchased all at once, a lack of confidence to mix and match or no imagination and sense of whimsy.

Respected Contributor

It depends.  Smiley Happy  Whether multiples of the same type of jewelry item will look great worn together or look overdone...depends.  And there is no simple answer.  The scale of the pieces is critical.  Also what other jewelry is being worn.  Does it look put together and thought out?  Is the current fashion trend for multiples,  single delicate piece, or single larger bolder jewelry?  Does each piece look nice on it's own or even alone does it look like a bad choice?

In general,  the more delicate the jewelry items,  the more you can stack and still look good.   Also,  stacking one type of jewelry and leaving others as single items looks better.   So if you stack bracelets,  then one ring per hand makes botht he bracelets and the ring look better.   If you wear multiple necklaces,  then keep the rings and bracelets toned down,  so it all looks put together and not like you just wore everything you could find.

I will add that current style plays a huge factor in what we think looks good.  Back in the day ( the 1980's )the style was big jewelry.... influenced by  Dallas and Dynasty TV programs.  The 'right' fashion look included a jacket with shoulder pads,  large earrings,  at least 1 large ring on each hand, a watch (styles were smaller at the time) and a bolder bracelet worn on the other wrist.  Necklaces were longer, as I recall. And with the influence of Chanel, you wore a strand of pearls or beads (8mm), along with a bold gold chain of the same or similar length.  Today,  it would look terribly overdone.  I would choose 1 of the jewelry style elements to focus on and minimize the others.  Balance is important,  bold earrings over power a very delicate necklace.   But if the earrings are larger,  the necklace shoudn't compete for attention,  but rather be a supporting player.

And,  wear what makes you happy.

Respected Contributor

Re: Piling on jewelry

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

I've never been one to pile it on.  I seldom stack bracelets; one is usually enough.  One ring per hand unless I occasionally sport a thumb ring.  One necklace, relatively small earrings.  I love jewelry but when it's piled on I do think it looks tacky.

Some women can carry it off and manage not to look silly, but most cannot.

Adding:  I do stack rings though.  That's a look that I like, but I only do it on one finger.

I tend to agree with you.  Even Jill and her life stripes JR and JAI left arm looks silly to me.  Coco Channel had it right.  

Honored Contributor

I think it's up to the individual (and their mirror) to decide what and how much to wear.

Honored Contributor

I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer here. I don’t think it is tacky to have on a lot of jewelry. I also don’t adhere to the premise that an outfit is incomplete without jewelry. It all goes back to personal style. Just like our clothing choices, our jewelry reflects who we are and what we like. 

I have a friend who can pull off wearing lots of jewelry. Most of her pieces are bold. Her style is very eclectic, and the jewelry she chooses fits her personality. 

I am a less is more classic gal. My usual jewelry wardrobe is a watch and my wedding set, right hand ring on traditional ring finger, and one necklace. Sometimes I add a right hand bracelet.

I never wear earrings - don’t like anything in or on my ears. None of my jewelry choices would be called bold by others. I actually layered a shorter necklace with a longer one a few days ago. That was strange for me. I have several brooches, some I purchased and others belonged to my mother who passed away several years ago. I really want to start wearing those more.